Main Menu

Mouse Control

Started by Roadman, December 02, 2017, 12:30:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Roadman

This topic usually comes up about this time of year. This company has lots of solutions.  https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/products/mice

Cuda Cody

Saw the topic and thought... mouse control?  My mouse works fine on my computer.   :haha:

Roadman

Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 02, 2017, 02:52:26 PM
Saw the topic and thought... mouse control?  My mouse works fine on my computer.   :haha:

:rofl:   :haha:

HP2

:cool: I've used dryer sheets in my motor home and not had any issues with mice. Smells decent come spring time too.

ScottSmith_Harms

I use a combo of plain old wooden mouse traps, (they work very effectively and super cheap) and Tomcat metal live traps. I patrol the areas I place the wooden traps every morning, whenever I catch one my Gila Monsters get a fresh treat   8)

I avoid poison type baits for multiple reasons, mainly because they often die where you cant get to them, but also because any animal that eats mice can get sick or die from eating a poisoned mouse.

The steel live traps work great for areas you don't visit daily because they will catch several mice over time and contain them so they don't die in a wall or some other hidden place where they can cause a smell. Glue traps also work well but are a bit messy to handle, especially when they have a couple dead rotting mice plastered to them, but they also get spiders and other floor dwelling crawling unwanteds.

Convertcuda

Hi Scott,

Can you give a us a model number of the steel cage? Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks Ken

cordodge

Knock on wood but since I put two of the electric ones you plug in I haven't seen one in 3 years

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Convertcuda on December 03, 2017, 05:39:53 PM
Hi Scott,

Can you give a us a model number of the steel cage? Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks Ken

Not sure if this is the same one Scott uses, but I have 2 of them along with a couple of the cheap wooden spring traps that you can bait with.

https://www.gemplers.com/product/127675/Ketch-All-Mouse-Live-Trap

Should be able to find at your local tractor/farm store and maybe even an Ace hardware or similar.

spiritbird65

We have never had any problem.... Just put the little Bengal pride on patrol and we've never spotted a mouse yet!

ScottSmith_Harms

Bengals are awesome! More like dogs than cats, mine was my best buddy for 13 years (RIP Auggie). Ever see a cat that liked to swim?

Convertcuda

Thanks Scott,

I just ordered two of them I will let you how it goes.

Ken

Cudakiller70

Quote from: spiritbird65 on December 03, 2017, 06:26:52 PM
We have never had any problem.... Just put the little Bengal pride on patrol and we've never spotted a mouse yet!
Pretty cool looking cat!
We had a cat that was something else, rabbits, squirrels and birds no problem. One morning while getting ready to go to work a mouse went under a corner cabinet. Grabbed our cat, held her nose close by within seconds she picked up its sent. Before I left she was playing with it, so I used a small box and scooped it up and threw it in the field behind us and went on my way to work.

cuda hunter

I used to do all the different things for mice.  Then I got adopted by a cat.  Mouse problem has not returned.  And the chipmunk, squirrel, and rodents are all gone as well. 

Get a cat.  There are thousands killed every day in every city in this nation.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

ScottSmith_Harms

I'm a cat fan as well but here's the thing.....We have at least 4 neighborhood cats that routinely patrol my property, not shy at all, day and night. In the same area that these cats hang out I caught 5 mice in the past two days in plain old wooden snap traps baited with peanut butter.

So, can cats be effective? Sure, but they are not usually the entire answer to the problem. Not to mention, feral and domestic cats reek havoc on wild native animal populations (good and bad animals alike). So, while I am a fan of house pets, I'm not a fan of free roaming pets.  .02