Main Menu

My On-Line Fraud Story

Started by anlauto, March 04, 2020, 07:20:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Not car related but I thought I would pass along the story that just happened to my wife, and some poor innocent guy....

Short background....
Last year my wife made ONE on line purchase from a furniture store called Wayfair....I'm sure you have the same website in the States too...
By doing so, she entered her email address, our shipping address and of course our VISA number.....(more on that later)
That was over a year ago...

Then the past two weeks she starts getting emails from Wayfair, saying "your item has been shipped"....of course having not ordered anything, she just laughed and deleted the email, thinking it was spam....and then another one, another one....
So I get curious and read the emails....they look legit and even have a UPS tracking number etc...
So I log in to her Wayfair account after figuring out her password which she had forgotten ..... ::)

Her account now has her full name/address, but it also has some dudes name/address....When I bring up the invoices of his recent purchases, apparently this Dude lives in a near by city of Hamilton, but his shipping address is the next Province over in Quebec....If that doesn't look like fraud I don't know what would....Then I panic because the $850 order has been paid for !!! but when I check out the payment methods listed on our account...this Dudes Mastercard info comes up right beside our VISA info THANKFULLY it was an old VISA number that was no longer valid... :bigthumb:

So I have this guys name/address and CC info in Hamilton, his shipping address in QC and a QC cell number for texts.... :huh:

So I call Wayfair...all they can do for me is close our Wayfair account and that they would "look" into it  :notsure:

Today it was still bugging me so I called the Hamilton number and got an answering machine....no call backs all day.....Then tonight the guy calls and asks what's up? I ask him why he's using our Wayfair account.....he says he has no idea of what I'm talking about.....I say you better look into your Mastercard because you bought furniture and sent it to Montreal...I even got the UPS confirmation that it arrived....He said, yea whatever...goodbye....

Two hours later...he's calling me back. thanking me over and over again....seems someone stole his CC info and made close to $3K in purchases at several places :headbang:

So, somehow hacking into my wife's Wayfair account, entering someone else's CC info....Some French Dude in Montreal is sleeping comfortably in his new bed.....without sheets because we were able to cancel that order :bravo:

It's amazing what can happen in today's "high tech" world.... :verymad:

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Wow! Are you going to call Wayfair back fill them in. They seem to have a security breach.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Quote from: blown motor on March 04, 2020, 07:30:48 PM
Wow! Are you going to call Wayfair back fill them in. They seem to have a security breach.

I thought about it, but they're such a big company....same with Mastercard....I told the guy on the phone I have a Montreal address to where the items were shipped to (apparently) and I have a mysterious 438 area code phone number....Maybe it would help in their investigation ?  The guy was pretty fed-up....happy to get his money back on his CC.....but thought the same about Mastercard....would they really care ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration