Main Menu

New Dodge Demon

Started by Topcat, January 12, 2017, 08:10:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 12, 2017, 11:10:05 AM
What do you think the Demon will do to the prices of the Hellcat? 
:thumbdown:

MoparDave

If they keep it to a small production as noted. I don't see a major impact. that's a 1% er car that most cant afford or buy. the current hellcat hasn't diminished/impacted the values of the scat packs IMO. not here anyway.
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

ec_co

minimal impact, 3 different buyer types IMO. one that wants the name, reputation and high HP #s but will never really race it (but will drive it around town and to car shows). the other that wants the same, but will actually drive the piss out of it and race it. then there is the 3rd that will buy it for the name/reputation, but will stick it in a garage for most of its life and will probably never see track time.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Burdar

I don't know.  Other sites are reporting that used Challenger Hellcat prices are dropping because owners are selling them in anticipation of buying a Demon.  Used Charger Hellcat prices(they say) are 8-10k more expensive.  Now that it has come out that the Demon will be limited production, some Hellcats that are for sale, might be taken off the market.(not everyone who wants a Demon will be able to get one)

ec_co

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

HP_Cuda

Will this be a call back to the days of folks buying Hemi's at the 1% rate

This is definitely one of those times where you look back and say "gee I wish I bought the Demon". I think the Hellcat will lose some of it's luster cause it's no longer the fastest and coolest car around. They should retain value for what they represent.

Quote from: MoparDave on April 12, 2017, 11:36:02 AM
If they keep it to a small production as noted. I don't see a major impact. that's a 1% er car that most cant afford or buy. the current hellcat hasn't diminished/impacted the values of the scat packs IMO. not here anyway.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda Cody

Does it seem like things are different now compared to back in the late 60's / early 70's?  Back then you were buying a machine.  Now it seems like you're buying a computer.   :notsure:  And we all know how computers hold their value, right?   :bye:   Kinda like buying the latest greatest phone.  Unless they stop making them, there is going to be technological advances that make the next one better.  So unless production stays super low (like Ford GT and Italian cars) it does seem like they will go down in value over time.   :alan2cents:  But I still want one.   :D

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 12, 2017, 04:11:58 PM
Does it seem like things are different now compared to back in the late 60's / early 70's?  Back then you were buying a machine.  Now it seems like you're buying a computer.   :notsure:  And we all know how computers hold their value, right?   :bye:   Kinda like buying the latest greatest phone.  Unless they stop making them, there is going to be technological advances that make the next one better.  So unless production stays super low (like Ford GT and Italian cars) it does seem like they will go down in value over time.   :alan2cents:  But I still want one.   :D

I have a bad feeling insurance companies are going to step in soon...... around here in Cunukastan the provincial governments tells insurance companies what to insure. I got a notice that if I used my car on "timed events, such as but not limited to drag racing or autocross" then they were not allowed to insure me period. I angrily called my insurance company and they explained it was not them , it was the provincial government telling them to do this.  :verymad:

Especially with idiots like this.... ( this happened, or finished about 10 minutes from my door)
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/04/02/luxury-cars-among-12-vehicles-impounded-by-opp-for-stunt-driving.html

RUNCHARGER

It's sure a neat car. For me though it would be either it or my Viper and an E-body so I guess I won't be one of the 300.
Sheldon

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Brads70 on April 12, 2017, 04:31:01 PM

I have a bad feeling insurance companies are going to step in soon...... around here in Cunukastan the provincial governments tells insurance companies what to insure. I got a notice that if I used my car on "timed events, such as but not limited to drag racing or autocross" then they were not allowed to insure me period. I angrily called my insurance company and they explained it was not them , it was the provincial government telling them to do this.  :verymad:

Especially with idiots like this.... ( this happened, or finished about 10 minutes from my door)
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/04/02/luxury-cars-among-12-vehicles-impounded-by-opp-for-stunt-driving.html

Haggerty is the "official" insurance sponsor of the Demon.

Thing here in the US is that insurance is regulated by each state.  I've run into a situation in ours with the Pumpkin.  Our regular "collector" insurance wouldn't cover it (said our state regulation will not allow "exceptions" to policies ... meaning, ok for street but not strip ... since it was tubbed and caged they won't do those cars in our state ... actually told me if I had relatives in another state to register it there).  Yet I found another who did insure it for agreed value.  So go figure.  Lol

Marc70challenger

I think this one really, really pushes the limits.  I will like to see how long the drive trains last when the first few dudes start hot lapping these.  50+ runs down the 1/4 with race gas and full out tune.

I know what you are saying.  In some industries the R&D departments know what they are getting ready to roll out is almost obsolete already ...  :haha:

The actually "computers" on cars now are amazing.  Fuel Tech is the cutting edge now where FAST was just 2 years ago (at least in racing .. and the expensive stuff).  But in the end, its an engine.  And look at how, after the 90s and DOC and all that, they are back to basic push rod stuff.  Better metallurgy, laser cutting, etc.  made that possible.  (And computer designing)

We now have six banger with more HP than many muscle cars of the days.  But IMHO, its coming close to the brick wall with that with internal combustion.

Technology I think still has room in suspension.  Maybe squeeze bit more economy.

Topcat

Bet they will allocate Demons to dealerships on how many Hellcats they've sold per year.

ec_co

Quote from: Marc70challenger on April 12, 2017, 06:04:42 PM

We now have six banger with more HP than many muscle cars of the days. 

kinda crazy that a modern v6 puts out as much power (and more in many cases) as an old v8. a new Pentastar 3.6 puts out 305 HP .... add a supercharger bumps it to 450hp+ on stock internals

ec_co

Demon easter eggs (eg: what did all those commercials mean??)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/new-york-auto-show/news/g6955/explaining-the-math-behind-all-those-demon-easter-eggs/

one example:

Hovering in the burnout smoke in this image is a puzzling equation: 13.5 = 575 @ 500. "This one was kind of tough," Kuniskis said. It breaks down to this: At 13.5 mph, the car is accelerating with a force of 1.8 g, which roughly translates to an acceleration of 57.5 feet per second squared—all of which happens at 0.500 seconds into your drag run, hence the 500.

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200