34 (60.7%)
Pink cars are for girls only
1 (1.8%)
No man wants to drive a pink car
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: February 14, 2023, 04:56:53 PM

anlauto

Okay, so I'm in the early stages of building an AAR resto-mod. To define that: The car will look like an AAR on the outside, but be all modern under the hood, Gen III Hemi, suspension etc....much like the resto-mod 71 Cuda convertible I did last year...

I know I want white interior, and with an AAR, I think a black vinyl top is a must to go with the hood....

With the thoughts of "RESALE" in mind, the question comes down to colour....

Recently I've had at least three people tell me it HAS to be pink ! A couple of those guys may be potential buyers (not willing to commit though :angry: ) and the other is my painter...he wants to tweak the colour a bit by adding some metallic or pearl even, which sounds interesting :thinking:

Now my personal feelings usually lend to my OE roots....of course I gravitate to any pink car on the show field, because to do attract attention, and I'm more impressed if it's an original FM3 because of their rarity , but also disappointed to find it to be an original green car or something... :tired: I also don't like seeing cars painted pink that never came pink like a 68 Dart or a 74 Challenger....but that's just me.... :console:

So from a "RESALE" point of view, what are your thoughts on a "in your face" FM3 Resto-mod ? Would it attract attention and more importantly buyers ? or do I stick with red or orange or green like everybody else ?

Love to hear from everybody...fill out the poll too :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

FM3 colour is awesome imo. I may paint mine that colour in a year or two...or three.
It's a very small window of correct colour though. Just a little off and the car doesn't look right. You can tell from miles away if it is the wrong shade of pink.

I think if you are building for resale it may not be a wise choice. I think a lot of people will go look at an FM3 car and say "wow", "cool"....but not want to own it.

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on January 31, 2023, 05:06:13 PM

I think a lot of people will go look at an FM3 car and say "wow", "cool"....but not want to own it.

EXACTLY my thought  :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RUNCHARGER

I owned mine for 20 years and have a few thoughts.
I bought mine because the body on it was extraordinary at the time. When I took it in to my bodyman for a paintjob he was pretty stoked about the FM3 and because of his excitement we left it FM3 instead of painting it black. Because it was originally FM3 that turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made with that car.
Cruising in the 70's, 80's and 90's that colour was great for two things. Picking up girls (great conversation starter) and goading guys into betting money against it in street races.
After 20 years I was happy to get rid of it and move onto other colours. I don't regret owning it one bit but don't need another one.
I wouldn't paint a car that was originally another colour FM3 but if I found another FM3 car I would feel the rarity of the car would dictate that it should be refinished in FM3.
It fades like a female dog too BTW.
Sheldon

headejm

TA's and AAR's that are original FM3 are  :1place:

Non original FM3 cars not so much. Curious how FM3, black vinyl top, and white interior would look. Do you have any pics of that combo?

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 31, 2023, 05:55:34 PM
YOU....owned the same car for 20 years?!?

I don't believe it.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on January 31, 2023, 06:07:57 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 31, 2023, 05:55:34 PM
YOU....owned the same car for 20 years?!?

I don't believe it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

anlauto

Quote from: headejm on January 31, 2023, 05:56:11 PM
TA's and AAR's that are original FM3 are  :1place:

Non original FM3 cars not so much. Curious how FM3, black vinyl top, and white interior would look. Do you have any pics of that combo?

Can't find a pic with all three, but here a pink with white interior https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0123-539312/1970-plymouth-aar-cuda/

blown motor

A lot more people will look at it than would ever be interested in buying it. I think you will really limit the sales potential by going pink. Talk one of those guys into buying it before it's painted or go a different colour.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

Only thing I have had longer than my pink car is my wife! If I hadn't made the mistake of buying my HemiCuda I probably would still own that pink Challenger! Actually when I found the matching #'s 383 block again I had to put it back to totally stock, got a little bored with it then...
I remember looking at an FM3 AAR with white interior, IMO FM3 is a bit much and it looks a lot better when it's cut with TX9 interior, stripes and vinyl roof. My opinion only of course.
I'm not really into resto mods but to be honest if I build one (maybe an A-body GenIII), I would paint it a modern colour that's available on a new car. You can't get away with that on a stock resto but if you're doing a modded car, why not?
Sheldon

Cudajason

Well I am more than a little biased on this one.  I LOVE my pink car, not sure I would ever paint it another colour, even when I do redo it.

I do agree that a factory pink car is always nice to see, not that I am a numbers guy, but a factory Pink AAR or T/A is my dream car and maybe the one car I would actually restore vs modify.

You will likely limit potential buyers with pink, but you may also find more than a few guys that have to have it.  It's just one of those colours.

Of course it was not always that way.  Mine was painted in 93, man it got a LOT of hate back in the day.  it is still hit and miss at the shows, but those that love it love.   

The one thing I would not do is play with the colour.  Making it metalic or adding pearl to the original pink, sounds too much like the modern pink ice on the challengers from a few years ago.  I thought that colour was a huge miss.  I am sure some people love it too, but it just did not work for me. 

well that's my two cents.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

This past Summer I saw a 70 GTX, that from 20 feet away, looked exactly like FY1 yellow, but up close you saw that they added metallic, maybe gold metallic....whatever it was, it was really sharp when the sun caught it at a certain angle....that's something I would consider (not gold) but keeping the base colour the same, just adding a little sparkle, my painter said you could even add it to the clear coat.... :dunno:

oh, and Jason, I've always been a fan of your girly car  :D

headejm

Lots of good comments on this topic. My final thought is I don't think I'd buy a FM3 car unless it was the original color.  :alan2cents:

torredcuda

I agree that many think it`s cool but not nearly as many would own one, and an originalFM3 car is much cooler than one that was color changed.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

Sort of related...original car colour.
I just saw an ad online saying they are doing a run of original hue Sublime Challengers this year?