Main Menu

Any motorcycle mechanics on the forum

Started by usraptor, May 06, 2020, 04:47:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

I know this is a long shot, but it seems we have a lot of electronic experts on the forum so I thought I'd throw this out to see if anybody has any ideas as I'm not getting any help from the Harley forum and the dealer is stumped along with son and I.

I have a 2000 Softail Heritage that won't charge the battery. The OEM regulator died.  The back of case was partially melted.  I bought and replaced two new regulators (first one was made in China so I thought it might be a dud) and it still won't charge. My son (certified mechanic) and I both checked the stator and it showed good per the Harley service manual.  We checked grounds, wires for tight connections and corrosion and the main circuit breaker; they all tested good.   Battery is a year old, kept on a trickle charger, shows fully charged and easily starts the engine.

I took bike to my local Harley dealer two weeks ago and they said stator was bad even though it tested good for my son and I.  I told them to go ahead and replace it; they're the experts, right? They replaced the stator and it still won't charge.  They then said the my new regulator (American made) that I had just installed was bad; they said that the bad stator fried it on ride to the dealer. They replaced my regulator with a new Harley one and it still won't charge. They then replaced the main circuit breaker, twice, with two different new ones and it still won't charge.  I know it's a simple charging system but they're stumped and I'm getting frustrated with them just throwing parts at the problem.  There's got to be a simple solution for this that they're overlooking but my dealer can't find the problem yet. Has anybody else experienced a similar no charging problem with their motorcycle when the stator, regulator, and battery were not the problem? I would greatly appreciate knowing what fixed your problem.  Like I said, I know this isn't a M/C forum but thought somebody might have an answer for me since the Harley forum doesn't and we seem to have some electrical/ignition/charging experts here.
PS. the dealer said once they find and fix the problem they'll put my original regulator back on and won't charge me for the new one or labor to install.

edison1970

I know on the evo motors, the plug connection that comes out of the case from the stator was a common problem.  I'm not sure the twin cam motors had the same issue. The aftermarket actually made a spring like gadget that put pressure on the plug to hold it together. 

mjb765

I was thinking the same thing...stator plug or the wiring going to it. I would guess before HD condemned those parts they would have tested the wiring, but who knows??

edison1970

I wouldn't put that much faith in the Harley Dealership of today. I used to have to explain to the parts counter guys what certain parts did. They don't do anything mechanically anymore unless it bolts on.

usraptor

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but re the Stator plug, it comes new with the new stator and the new regulator also has a new plug so I don't think the plugs are the issues. Still hoping.  :clueless: :'( :help: :pullinghair:

IRON MAN

I bought a brand new a 2000 Heritage Soft Tail Classic FLSTC, carburetor. Has 115,000 miles and runs like new. I purchased the 2000 H-D Softtail Models Service Manual, and H-D cycle lift to perform all the maintenance myself It has never been in a H-D dealership for servicing. In the manual from page 8-76 to 8-89 covers the entire Charging System. It is a "must-have" book. It is easy reading, great photos, illustrations,  and trouble shooting charts. Makes it simple to find the charging problem. Highly recommend.

RzeroB

Quote from: edison1970 on May 06, 2020, 05:25:49 PM
I wouldn't put that much faith in the Harley Dealership of today. I used to have to explain to the parts counter guys what certain parts did. They don't do anything mechanically anymore unless it bolts on.

I'll second that!! Had a weird problem with my V-Rod where the engine was cutting in and out then dying. The "steal-ership" "mechanics" guessed and changed a bunch of parts that didn't do anything to fix the problem. Wound up being something as simple as my throttle position sensor (TPS).
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

usraptor

Quote from: IRON MAN on May 06, 2020, 10:33:29 PM
I bought a brand new a 2000 Heritage Soft Tail Classic FLSTC, carburetor. Has 115,000 miles and runs like new. I purchased the 2000 H-D Softtail Models Service Manual, and H-D cycle lift to perform all the maintenance myself It has never been in a H-D dealership for servicing. In the manual from page 8-76 to 8-89 covers the entire Charging System. It is a "must-have" book. It is easy reading, great photos, illustrations,  and trouble shooting charts. Makes it simple to find the charging problem. Highly recommend.

Iron Man, I agree.  That's why this is the first time in 20 years my bike has been to the dealer.  I also have the service manual and do all my own repairs and maintenance.  FYI, my son (certified mechanic) and I did all the tests listed in 8-76 to 8-89 and couldn't find the issue.  That's why it's at the dealership.

Bullitt-

no motorcycle experience but thought my recent experience with a bad battery might be germane.

Dad's '06 Dakota's battery was down so I grabbed the 2-yr old AGM battery out of my '73 that I kept charged with a Battery Tender Jr. .. Everything seemed OK for a few days then had to jump start it after sitting a few days, drove it around a while but it wouldn't crank when turned off.  Charged the battery & started fine several times, couple of days later very slow crank and wouldn't start the second time.  Checked everything & seemed to be putting out good on the charge side. My best friend said it's the battery but I didn't believe him but after not finding anything else wrong I swapped in the battery from my '98 GT... Problem solved..  The AGM would charge up  on charger but something wrong that it wouldn't accept a charge from the Dakota's system...
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

usraptor

Thanks Bullitt, great minds think alike.  I had the same thought and told them to swap out my battery with a shop battery to see if that solved the problem.  Still waiting to hear back.

usraptor

Just as a side note, I've got way more responses and suggestions to my motorcycle question here on E-Bodies than I've gotten on the Harley forum.  Just goes to show what a great group of people we have on this forum.   :grouphug: :clapping: :bravo: :thankyou:Thanks and keep those suggestions coming.  I'll let you know when and if Harley solves this and what was the issue. 

IRON MAN

I replaced the battery for the first time with a H-D replacement battery at seven years in 2007. The H-D parts guy said normally batteries don't last that long but because you ride your bike every day to work it did. Don't expect the replacement battery to last as long as the original battery. I thought ......huh. The second battery only lasted four years. I would go over the Rio Vista draw bridge everyday to Fairfield. One morning the red lights to the draw bridge started to flash as the bridge was going up. Just like in the movies, I rode between the cross bars and went thru the air crossing to the other side of the bridge . The soft tail suspension bottomed out. The operator of the bridge poked his head out the window and yelled "YA HOO". :banana: Think the landing damaged a battery plate/cell in the battery and had to buy another battery because it wouldn't hold a charge.

Quote from: edison1970 on May 06, 2020, 05:04:58 PM
I know on the evo motors, the plug connection that comes out of the case from the stator was a common problem.  I'm not sure the twin cam motors had the same issue. The aftermarket actually made a spring like gadget that put pressure on the plug to hold it together. 

https://www.jpcycles.com/harley-alternator-plug-retainers
Is this what you were referring to ? holds the plug connected with different items and ways.