Main Menu

Painting Interior Question

Started by js27, March 13, 2020, 08:56:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

I just got off the phone with HERB'S and order some interior paint. The guy didn't sound very knowledgeable. Anyway I order red paint for my medal dash and he said the same paint can be used on armrest and door panels. I asked about any special primers and he said only on the medal dash but nothing on the vinyl parts. That sounded odd to me. I will be painting red over a black armrest. I also want to paint over my rear convertible panels which are alread factory red.  I always thought you needed some type of etching primer to paint over vinyl. I asked if there was anybody else there who would know and he said no they had 3 people out and would be a few days before they could ship.
JS27

Dakota

I used Herb's interior paint to put a new coat of black over my black plastic interior and my dash frame.   It worked well.   At the time I bought the paint, they recommended using their adhesion promoter on the plastic parts ahead of the paint.

From everything I've read, you want to you use an adhesion promoter so I think you were getting bad advice.

Mr Lee

I haven't used Herbs paint but I have used a different brand and from all the research I've done about painting plastic, definitely USE an adhesion promoter.  Not sure why he would have told you otherwise, but if you got the impression he didn't know what he's talking about, go with your gut. 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

usraptor

Ditto on the adhesion promoter.  I repainted several of my interior parts and used the adhesion promoter.

anlauto

I would NOT use primer .... adhesion promotor only on vinyl and plastic for sure :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

I just bought the SEM brand and am very confident with it.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JS29

No primer on any part that is not bare metal.  :alan2cents:

js27

Any special prep before painting or just a good soap and water washing with some Dawn. I went ahead and ordered 2 cans of the adhesion promoter.
JS27

anlauto

Sounds good....whatever method you choose....you should post some BEFORE/AFTER pictures....you know how much we like pictures :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Lee

Quote from: js27 on March 16, 2020, 06:18:47 AM
Any special prep before painting or just a good soap and water washing with some Dawn. I went ahead and ordered 2 cans of the adhesion promoter.
JS27

I sued the SEM product line and they had their own soap as the first step, then a solvent, then the adhesion promoter.  I don't know what the solvent was, specifically as it was their own brand.  But I think it was just something like alcohol to make sure you don't leave any oily fingerprints behind.  Maybe wear some nitrile gloves while handling.  Dawn should be fine. 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

js27

Quote from: anlauto on March 16, 2020, 07:35:22 AM
Sounds good....whatever method you choose....you should post some BEFORE/AFTER pictures....you know how much we like pictures :)

Will Do--I love pictures also.
JS27