Main Menu

Painting Interior Panels with SEM Landau

Started by nsmall, May 14, 2017, 09:32:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Please forgive me.  Are the interior panels plastic or are they considered vinyl?

SEM recommends using their soap 39362 AND surface cleaner 40404 AND prep spray before painting but I need to know if I should buy the vinyl or plastic prep spray.

I know prep is vital for painting.  Has anyone used SEM paint for interior panels?  If so did you use the soap and surface cleaner and prep spray?  It also looks like they have another spray you use right before final using the SEM black landau paint...its called SEM 39133 Flexible Primer Surfacer. 

Thanks.

1 Wild R/T

20+ years ago SEM recommended wiping panels down with Enamel reducer... I suspect the Landau Black formula has changed since then... But the original stuff has held up very well...

Cuda Cody

I've used SEM products with good success.  I clean my panels with a good soap and dry them very well.  The SEM paint has always held up super for me.  I like their stuff a lot.

cuda hunter

I usually use soap and water, sometimes a power sprayer. 
Depending on what's left on the panel I have used Xylene as a cleaner. 
Then I use the flexible primer.
Then color. 

Works great and holds up pretty good over time.

I have used the plastic product, not familiar with the vinyl product.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

You need to use SEM's Adhesion promoter as well in my opinion. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

SEM makes some of the best products in the autobody industry!!! to answer your question the panels are plastic.

nsmall

Thanks everyone.  The quick accurate responses given are amazing.  This site is really helping my project move along nicely. Thanks again. 

nsmall

So the order of operations would look like this:

1. Wash well with soap and water and let dry thoroughly....Just use something simple like dish washing soap and warm water?

2.  Use SEM plastic adhesion promoter

3. Use SEM flexible primer surfacer

4.  Lay down some SEM black landau

Sound good?  Should I lightly sand the panels at any point or NO?

Thanks

MoparDave

thin or light coats also. if they are to heavy you will lose the grain.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

anlauto

@MoparDave does Metro sell paint that matches their panels ? I have new blue door panels but need to do convertible rear panels the same colour  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

usraptor

Quote from: anlauto on May 15, 2017, 05:51:16 AM
You need to use SEM's Adhesion promoter as well in my opinion. :alan2cents:
I did all my interior pieces with the Adhesion promoter and then the Landau Black.  Didn't need/use any primer.  They all came out looking like new.  But then I wasn't changing colors either.

GoodysGotaCuda

I recently used the soap, adhesion promoter and color with no issues. I have no plans to change the process for the remaining panels I need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

MoparDave

Quote from: anlauto on May 20, 2017, 10:53:32 AM
@MoparDave does Metro sell paint that matches their panels ? I have new blue door panels but need to do convertible rear panels the same colour  :thinking:

at one time I believe metro did have some color matched paints. with them being out of the bizz for this long I doubt he would have any.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

anlauto

Okay thanks.....any suggestions ? Anybody ? :wave:

nsmall