Main Menu

Power Steering Gearbox & Pump Identification.

Started by Chaos-N-Mayhem, March 06, 2020, 07:42:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Ok, so the only tag I found on mine was this one...
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

So what is the going rate to get one of these things rebuilt? And who rebuilds them? How nice of a job do they do?

JS29

7E-Bodies

@JS29 so Firm Feel rebuilds the original? Perhaps making it better than original? How quick and how expensive were they for you?

JS29

I have not sent it out yet, must find the sores of a serious vibration first. My research led me to the discussion to go with them. And you retain the original box.   :alan2cents:

headejm

#2 - found in a Hamtramck assembled '70 Challenger R/T SE 383    :alan2cents: I believe this has been replaced @headejm
          cast: 12188 (Wednesday 12/18/68) * assembled 0169 (Thursday 1/16/69) * G-2267282 R1

[/quote]

@6bblgt What is the purpose of the small metal tag on the valve assembly? Mine says "429" but that number doesn't appear to match any of the numbers on the gearbox.  :notsure:

7E-Bodies

Wondering the same myself.  Mine has a 409 and is in an odd spot, bent at a perfect 90 degrees as pictured above.

mopar jack

Dick at Firm Feel is real easy to deal with and supports his product. Right now a recondition box is priced at $425. with a core charge of $250. Shipping for me from Cali to Washington was $58 and trying to box and pack one of these is a challenge. Their turn around time is 10 weeks. Also for the restoration purist you need to specify no bead blasting and Dick won't send a box out that doesn't show well so it will need to be very clean and rust free.   

Topcat

Quote from: mopar jack on March 09, 2020, 07:19:00 PM
Dick at Firm Feel is real easy to deal with and supports his product.

Right now a recondition box is priced at $425. with a core charge of $250. Shipping for me from Cali to Washington was $58 and trying to box and pack one of these is a challenge.

Get a Milk crate, some 1/8" plywood or metal.
Drill it on. Ready to go.

That's what I did. Works well.   :bigthumb:

Rbob

Help identifying this box please, its off my 70 challenger T/A

Spoke to firm-feel today, they said a T/A box may be marked with the letters T/A , never heard of that before.

G-2267262

6bblgt

yes, the "quick ratio" 1970-'71 power steering boxes have a large "TA" cast on them

when I put together the earlier pics in this thread - I also took a picture of this steering box in a mid-June '69 scheduled 383 Barracuda Formula S

cast 4-29 assembled 1399 (139th day of 1969 or 5/19/69) - this was the only unit I found with the big number cast on it 1N VS. your 4S  :dunno:

6bblgt

best "TA" pic I could find  :takepicture:  anyone have a better pic?

Rbob

Ply64,

You have one of the rare ones!  So cool!

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Mopar5

This is the steering box that came out of my 70 LA built 383 car . I'm wondering if it's the original unit