Main Menu

Power Steering Pump Identification - Hemi

Started by mopar thunder, December 21, 2021, 10:01:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

Hi,
My power steering pump was leaking a little so I went to have it rebuilt and was told the pump was for a Hemi car not my 1968 Charger RT. How can I confirm that? By the pulley shaft size, numbers?

anlauto

Maybe they just wanted to charge you more ... :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mopar thunder

Maybe I worded it wrong. They say the pump that was on my car was for a hemi engine. So they put they correct one on. My question is how can I confirm if my old pump a took back is for a hemi car or not? If it is for a hemi car I would sell it to someone who can use it.

fc7cuda

The Hemi PS pump for early-mid 68 is not unique, same as other BB motors.  Very late 68-71 is unique.  It would help to see pics of what you have to determine what you have.   :yes:

6bblgt

if they put a Saginaw pump on your car - they are WRONG! (these  :takealook:  started in '69)

70 Top Banana

Just curious, is the Saginaw Pump with the steering cooler correct for a 70 T/A?

6bblgt

1970 340s including the TRANS AM (A53) cars used Federal power steering pumps (coolers on cars with 3.55s & 3.91s)

mopar thunder

Here are a couple of photos of the pump that came off the car. I tried getting a pic of the numbers I can't make them all out but I do see the E.

anlauto

Others will chime in, but there is nothing unique about the pump in my opinion, if anything is "Hemi only" I'm guessing it would be the pulley... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ratroaster

That looks like a hemi pulley. The Federal hemi pulley is 6 1/4" outside diameter.   

mopar thunder

There are some numbers on the pulley but I can't make them all out. It was pressed on if that means anything. But I think they are all pressed on correct? I was told another pulley they said this pulley just fell over the other pump shaft. So I am guessing the diameter was too big....

Floyd

That looks like a TRW pump to me.  Similar in appearance to the federal pump with the round fill tube.   Do you have a pic of the reservoir?

I see many references to either Saginaw or Federal pumps as correct for late 60s-early 70s performance Mopars, depending on the application.  Were TRWs used as well? 

challengersteve

That is an early TRW pump. It is from a 67 and earlier application and is NOT specific to a hemi. There are 2 versions used depending on big or small block.
This is not terribly rare but they are starting to get harder to find as good rebuildable cores.

mopar thunder

So this might be resellable and actually someone could use it?

mopar thunder

I just checked the reservior and it looks like a TRW pump with the larger notch.