Main Menu

Pros and Cons of Allowing Your Car on a Registry?

Started by 7E-Bodies, August 29, 2022, 01:54:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

I have a guy reaching out to me from Iowa that is trying to put together a registry. I'm always a little leery about this. Any thoughts positive or negative appreciated.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

70vert

Great question, not sure what the Pros would be either. If you are really in to socialization and/or a super fanatic about your specific car then you might get something out of it.

Cons would partly depend on what they make public and how tightly they control access to the info.

There are a LOT of registries out there, not sure another is needed but I could be wrong.

Filthy Filbert

If a stranger reached out to me and asked for details on my car, I would absolutely be skeptical and reluctant.

But I kinda like the idea of registries...especially since the factory can't provide any of us with any meaningful data.

I voluntarily sent info to Barry Washington who put together the Hamtramck registry.  If it wasn't for that, I'd have never known that my car was one of the custom order St Louis Blues Cudas.  —because all I have is a VIN.  no build sheet, no fender tag, and I didn't buy my car until 2003.   And I bought it from a 'classic car dealer' who wouldn't tell me who they brought it from so there's zero hope for me to trace its ownership.

Mr Cuda

@7E-Bodies
last time you asked,  was 2019. Have you heard any horror stories since then?
I gave my car info to Ola, but it's nothing special,  a 318 car.
I agree that the registry should have some info searchable.
Like color combo,  engine trans,, etc with no vin associated .

anlauto

I see only "pros" about submitting you car's info to a registry...I think it's great that people take the time to tabulate learn from the info submitted....I just don't like when people refuse to share the info they've learned....

I get not giving out personal info...but having the basic info like colours and options available to the public to search is a huge "PRO" ...some registries refuse that ability... :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

I've started down the path of registering not only my Ebody but other stuff like guitars, "regular" cars/trucks, etc. When they start asking for a bunch of personal information is usually when I exit the system. I might be more private than most people but I really don't like sharing personal information.

7E-Bodies

A big question I asked is will I be able to view the registry as some of you know I've been trying to find one of my old ones.I've found some of these registries to be pretty secretive.

7E-Bodies

@Mr Cuda I've not heard any horror stories, which is why I ask again. I'm seeking exactly that. I have however seen fb posts pleading for info on a car stolen right out of a garage. A few to be exact. I'm all about the virtual sharing of these cars and the statistics they can provide, but with the right people. I've shared much. Just looking for more perspective. As for Ola, I've shared plenty with him. He also is very aware that I'm a pair of boots he has on the ground in Illinois. I trust him.

anlauto

When I owed my AAR Cuda a few years back, I reached out to two different registries at the time.

One guy was extremely helpful, gave me all sorts of insight into the colour combo, the louver package...breakdowns of each in his "known to exist registry"...  :twothumbsup:

The other guy sent me a link to his "donation page"  :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Mr Cuda

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 29, 2022, 06:48:25 PM
@Mr Cuda I've not heard any horror stories, which is why I ask again. I'm seeking exactly that. I have however seen fb posts pleading for info on a car stolen right out of a garage. A few to be exact. I'm all about the virtual sharing of these cars and the statistics they can provide, but with the right people. I've shared much. Just looking for more perspective. As for Ola, I've shared plenty with him. He also is very aware that I'm a pair of boots he has on the ground in Illinois. I trust him.

These are my concerns also. I had my m46 car attempted to be stolen,  back when I street parked. I've heard of shelby's and camero's flat bedded out of garages out here.
Take them apart to work on them, that will  slow them down trying to take it.
Then watch the brothers collection video,  and get really depressed.

fc7cuda

Enought Regustries already IMO.

It seems some just want to know what's out there and where it is.  Not sharng the info is a big flag for me.

anlauto

Do registries ask for "locations" of the cars ? I thought they were just after BCS and fender tag info, and maybe current status of the vehicle :dunno:

cuda hunter

That is all that I ask for about the M46's.  Info on the car, not where it is or where the keys are kept. 
Full vins are not listed unless the owner doesn't mind.  Can't find a car from the full vin.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

torredcuda

I would put my cars in registries with certain criteria -

I know/trust the owner
No fees to anyone and not for profit
Public access to vehicle info, no access to any owner info unless specifically ok`d by the owner

Once you give out the info things could change due to a number of reasons so obviuosly only give out the info you are comfortable with - no full name, address, phone number, primary e-mail etc.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/