Main Menu

Quarantine or not?

Started by torredcuda, March 20, 2020, 09:51:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

torredcuda

Obviuosly if you have any symptoms of covid-19 you should quarantine yourself and if you are older with health conditions you should as well. But now I`m seeing numbers of 20-54 yr olds that show 48% of that ag group needing hospitalization. I am 60 and my wife has been dealing with asthma from some kind of allergy that the Dr`s can`t figure out and I`m getting nervous. To add to that my co-worker went on vacation last week to NYC and is returning on Monday -we share the same work space and desk (him day shift, me night). Obviuosly my wife is calling her Dr for expert advice and we may not go back to work starting Monday (when my co-worker is due back)but just wondering what others are doing, not sure what to believe and if they even know enough about it yet?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

kawahonda

If you don't have symptoms you should be quarantining yourself at this point.

The "wait until you have symptoms" is and was ineffective.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Gary

My wife is a home health nurse.  On the front lines of this.  We have people here in rural Iowa who are coming back from their southern vacations.  They are being asked to self quarantine before going back to work or being out in public.  Your coworker should do the same.  If you have questions contact the CDC website or your state department of public health website.  They are excellent resources to get accurate and current information.

RUNCHARGER

I'm 63 and my wife is 58. We don't work and have been staying home but I'm starting to go stir crazy already.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 20, 2020, 10:29:40 AM
I'm 63 and my wife is 58. We don't work and have been staying home but I'm starting to go stir crazy already.

Like I've always said... At least it's not far to go...

Daveh

All hunkered down in South Florida.  I went out a couple of weeks ago when this first began and bought a crap load of stuff.  I have a handicapped daughter who is highly susceptible to infection so I'm not going to take any chances.  Good luck all.

Brads70

BIGSHCLUNK

My wife's company closed till April. With pay no less! Business at the shop has been good till yesterday. Very quiet today. I will say I'm afraid to even roll thru a restaurant drive thru right now. I can see the trend already. Business's closing, layoff's coming. I'm talking non-food/bar/hospitality industries here. its everyone else, I just heard this morning the local shredder will be closed next week. Scrap prices have been cut by at least a third. Street traffic has slowed to a trickle. I'm getting here in the morning in less than half the usual time. Next week will be fun...... NOT 

Dakota

Definitely stay home.  Asthma appears to be one of the common threads for those that are at highest risk, regardless of age.

tparker

Confusion is rampant. They media hasn't been dropping the ball on a lot of important information other than social distancing and hand washing. A lot of info is unknown since we focusing on stoping the virus vs studying it.

I'm in California and we have been dealing with quarantine in one way or another for a while. There are lots of exceptions but the idea is to stay away from people.  I don't like the way they are going about it, but if you want to be safe you should be limiting contact with others. Obviously you need to go to the store and other things, but depending on your situation, you should probably avoid other stuff.

FYI quarantine here doesn't. mean you're stuck in your house. You can go for walks and other things.  They just don't want extaneous gatherings that can spread the virus.

blown motor

I think the important thing is to not be in contact with others. That doesn't mean you have to be locked up in your house. I went to town this morning to get an oil filter for the Challenger. The door was locked with a sign on it. I called in the order and gave the guy my credit card number. He got my stuff while I waited in the truck and set it outside the the door. Might not be practical in the long term but he did business and I got my stuff. It worked for now.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cudajason

I am in the professional services industry (large global accounting firm).  Our offices in Canada have been shut down all week, and I am working from home.

I consider my self fortunate to be able to do it and realize not everyone is able to.  I will admit I am not a fan of it, but I don't have a choice.

Other than trips our for groceries and other essentials, that is about it.  All my kids activities have been cancelled and nothing else is open, so its  work and :drinkingbud: and  :wrenching:  maybe the occasional walk with the dog.

I think there is fine line between social distancing and Isolation and that is it, going out to get the essentials and not going out at all.  Unfortunately it seems there is no agreement on that.

I have a co-worker that just came back from Hungary with his wife, before everything shut down, we asked him to self isolate, out or an abundance of caution and although he has not come into the office, he has been our shopping and in and out of his apartment as the landlord is showing it to prospective tenants.

As much as we are trying to contain this thing, I fear we will not because of actions like this!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

torredcuda

I was told yesterday my work is not shutting down as one of our customers was told by Homeland Security they need their product ASAP. For me as an inspector I work in a small room with a couple others and we share desk and surface plates and of course I handle parts multiple others have recently handled. I try to clean work surfaces, wear latex gloves but "distancing" does just not work in this envirement so I feel the only option is to take a few weeks off. Financially it will screw us bad but our health is always more important.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Topcat

Quote from: Cudajason on March 20, 2020, 11:31:27 AM
I am in the professional services industry (large global accounting firm).  Our offices in Canada have been shut down all week, and I am working from home.

I consider my self fortunate to be able to do it and realize not everyone is able to.  I will admit I am not a fan of it, but I don't have a choice.

Other than trips our for groceries and other essentials, that is about it.  All my kids activities have been cancelled and nothing else is open, so its  work and :drinkingbud: and  :wrenching:  maybe the occasional walk with the dog.

I think there is fine line between social distancing and Isolation and that is it, going out to get the essentials and not going out at all.  Unfortunately it seems there is no agreement on that.

I have a co-worker that just came back from Hungary with his wife, before everything shut down, we asked him to self isolate, out or an abundance of caution and although he has not come into the office, he has been our shopping and in and out of his apartment as the landlord is showing it to prospective tenants.

As much as we are trying to contain this thing, I fear we will not because of actions like this!

Jason

Hungary is so far pretty safe....up till now.

We just spoke with her relatives and they had shut down everything before it became a pandemic.
However, the plane back likely  isn't as well protected from the virus.

Coronavirus: Number of Confirmed Cases in Hungary Rises to 85.
Last week, it was less than half this.

Cudajason

Quote from: Topcat on March 20, 2020, 11:55:30 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on March 20, 2020, 11:31:27 AM

Jason

Hungary is so far pretty safe....up till now.

We just spoke with her relatives and they had shut down everything before it became a pandemic.
However, the plane back likely  isn't as well protected from the virus.

Coronavirus: Number of Confirmed Cases in Hungary Rises to 85.
Last week, it was less than half this.

Yeah agreed, it has not been hard hit, but my coworker said there were no cases while he was there (March 4)  and then by the time he got to Canada (March 9) it was 2 cases.  Now is 85.  So I bet it was there before he left.  He flew through Austria, which had cases at the time, so the whole thing just makes me nervous...and I do not usually get nervous about these kind of things!!!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.