Main Menu

Recommendation for source for repro vintage license plate?

Started by JH27N0B, January 26, 2022, 07:48:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70Barracuda

I am in Oregon.  My friend is a plate collector, he gave me a set of plates from the time of my car.  Took to DMV, they looked in a book, said yes those are good to go.  Paid a one time $50 fee, never need to worry about tags again.  I did have to sign a paper stating it was for parade, club type stuff  driving.  Cops don't care.
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

JH27N0B

It's interesting in Illinois that the law says you can run year of manufacture plates on an antique vehicle licensed car as long as you carry your state issued AV license plates with you.  You don't have to take them in to be registered to your car.  I have a friend who brags when he takes his antique cars to shows and drives on the toll road, he doesn't have to pay tolls.  That type of behavior could get the state to crack down on year of manufacture plates.
The use of AV plates is highly restricted here.  You can drive to car events like shows, parades and to a maintenance facility and that's it.
I've never got pulled over driving an AV plated car, but I've heard a few isolated stories about area car enthusiasts who have.
The State of Illinois recently released a new plate classification called expanded antique.  From spring through mid fall you can drive an EA plated car all you want but in the off season the plates revert to the AV plate restrictions.
EA plates are half price of regular passenger car plates and renew annually. AV plates are cheap, $45 for 5 years. And no upcharge for vanity plate renewal.  You pay extra for the AV vanity plate when you first get it, then never pay extra again.  I've had "RT STUF" on my Challenger convertible for 25 years!  And V code on my 71 for 11 years.
I got EA plates for my Magnum.  I probably could have got away with AV plates even though I want to drive it more. But I thought it would be fun to get a vanity plate that says MALAISE, the EA is on the right side of the plate, so I put and "R" sticker by the EA so it now reads MALAISE ERA!
Technically modifying a license plate is probably illegal so wish me luck I don't end up in jail!  :crying:

JH27N0B

I got my custom made plate in the mail yesterday and it looks pretty good!
The 618 plate is a 52 year old original complete with patina, so I wouldn't judge the hue off of it compared to the new one.  But you can see the letters on the repro are a little larger than the originals.  I don't find that anything to lose sleep over, I was looking for an original looking plate for my car with the correct number on it for Mr Norms dealership back in the day, and now I am set!
Thanks again for the lead, the custom plates are not cheap but they do a good job and I'm satisfied.  :bigthumb: