Main Menu

Runner Kills Mountain Lion in Self-Defense

Started by 303 Mopar, February 05, 2019, 12:24:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

This is one lucky guy, right @cuda hunterhttps://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2019/02/05/runner-suffocates-mountain-lion-death-after-attack-near-fort-collins/2776172002/

An unidentified man is recovering in a Fort Collins-area hospital after he killed a mountain lion in self-defense after the animal attacked him Monday afternoon at Horsetooth Mountain Park.

The man was running alone on the park's West Ridge Trail when he was attacked from behind, according to an initial Colorado Parks and Wildlife release. The animal was later identified as a juvenile mountain lion, possibly weighing about 80 pounds or more.

The man, whose name and place of residence have not been released, told authorities he heard something behind him on the trail and as he turned he was attacked. He said he was bitten on his face and wrist but was able to fight and break free from the lion.

While defending himself, he told investigators that he killed the lion by suffocating it. The account was confirmed by investigators after examining the lion and upon further investigation. The man sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries and hiked down the trail, at least 3 miles, and drove himself to a local hospital, according to CPW.

"The runner did everything he could to save his life,'' said Mark Leslie, CPW's Northeast Region manager. "In the event of a lion attack, you need to do anything in your power to fight back just as this gentleman did.''

cuda hunter

Really lucky.  to kill one without weapons.   choked it to death.  Just crazy. 
I'll say this, to kill a cat that is attacking you even when you have a weapon would be a very lucky situation. 
This guy got really really lucky! 
Had the lion not been a juvenile I don't see this happening.  A female at her max weight of 125 can drag a 500 lb elk one mile up hill and then pull it up into a tree.  So an 80 lb juvenile can certainly take a 200 lb man with ease. 

The cat attacked his face as a lion will typically take your throat first and strangle you to death.  That's the easiest way for them. So the guy got lucky the cat didn't get a bite where it was going for. 

the one that almost killed me was 105 lbs. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

Actually here in Colorado if the animal has caused you harm they will not charge you. 
If charged typically it's 10K plus loss of your hunting rights for a determined time.

I know someone who was charged when he shot a lion 3 feet from himself.  It was running at him and about to attack him.
However it didn't touch him.  so they took his hunting license for 7 years and charged him 10K plus sent him to a ton of classes of which cost per class. 

they are pretty reasonable here in Colorado.  Our DOW do a very fair job.   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

pbajeff

Quote from: cuda hunter on February 05, 2019, 12:42:03 PM
Actually here in Colorado if the animal has caused you harm they will not charge you. 
If charged typically it's 10K plus loss of your hunting rights for a determined time.

I know someone who was charged when he shot a lion 3 feet from himself.  It was running at him and about to attack him.
However it didn't touch him.  so they took his hunting license for 7 years and charged him 10K plus sent him to a ton of classes of which cost per class. 

So you have to wait for it to actually touch you???
Screw that - he did the right thing.

We do some elk hunting up there every year, but I have not run across one.
If I ever do now I know what to keep my mouth shut when I shoot it.

dodj

Crazy!
Had it not been a juvenile, he would have been dead before he knew what was going on.
One lucky dude. He may not think so, but it was his lucky day.

I think Josh is nuts going after them with a bow and arrow.. :looney:   But bare hands...WOW!
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

IRON MAN

In England during the 1880s my Great Great Grandfather (Professor Anderton) owned Anderton and Roland Circus aka "Four Paws Gigantic Circus & Menagerie." My Great Grandfather (Captain Roland) in 1890, was known as the greatest lion tamer in the world. A leopard mauled his arm. They owned the first internal combustion vehicle in southern England. It was a de Dion with a rudder instead of a steering wheel. Here is a picture of the two of them inspecting the circus grounds. The big cat that mauled my Great Grandfather's arm became a warming blanket during their rides. The circus is still touring counties in southern England.

cuda hunter

Quote from: pbajeff on February 05, 2019, 01:25:53 PM
Quote from: cuda hunter on February 05, 2019, 12:42:03 PM

We do some elk hunting up there every year, but I have not run across one.

If you have hunted in Colorado you have been hunted.  Every time you go into the wilderness there will be a set of eyes that have spotted you.    Probably most woods in the America's.  I'm just familiar with Colorado
  I've seen 19 now that I have taken one.  Before the one, I had never seen a lion in the wild. 

js27

I think this guy was very lucky or the Lion wasn't very good at killing his prey. Animals who are bad hunters usually end up starving to death. This may have been the reason for the attack on a human. On the other hand this guy may have been a trained fighter or martial artist and did not panic and try to run away which would have lead to his demise. Whatever the reasons the end result is Human 1--Mountain Lion 0.
JS27

bentpshrods

Just last night on the local news here there was a report of a lady in Makay, Id. (a small mountain town) who late at night heard her dog yelping and in a fight. She ran outside and thought another dog was attacking hers and tried to break it up by grabbing it and dragging them apart. Turned out it wasn't another dog but a young mountain lion. The husband then came out and shot the cougar. Their dog was tore up some but survived. Must of been quite a surprise for her after it was over. They said the cat was only about 35 lbs. so it wasn't very big, but still----     :unbelievable:

Brads70

Quote from: js27 on February 06, 2019, 08:48:41 AM
I think this guy was very lucky or the Lion wasn't very good at killing his prey. Animals who are bad hunters usually end up starving to death. This may have been the reason for the attack on a human. On the other hand this guy may have been a trained fighter or martial artist and did not panic and try to run away which would have lead to his demise. Whatever the reasons the end result is Human 1--Mountain Lion 0.
JS27

Nah.... It was Chuck Norris.  :D

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on February 06, 2019, 10:31:39 AM
JS27

NO...if it were Chuck Norris he would not be in the hospital now...and the lions Mom, Dad and siblings would all be dead...just because it tried to attack him.

Seriously though..crazy story.  Dude is has one heck of a tale to tell!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

challengermaniac

Here in the Pacific Northwest a cougar had jumped on a mountain biker as he passed by.  Too bad for the cougar given the biker was a former wrestler in high school and he grabbed hold of it to control it's mouth while slugging it in the face.  The cougar walked away in a haze!
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

js27

Quote from: Cudajason on February 06, 2019, 10:44:32 AM
Quote from: Brads70 on February 06, 2019, 10:31:39 AM
JS27

No if it was Chuck Norris the cougar would have just strangled itself.
JS27

NO...if it were Chuck Norris he would not be in the hospital now...and the lions Mom, Dad and siblings would all be dead...just because it tried to attack him.

Seriously though..crazy story.  Dude is has one heck of a tale to tell!