Main Menu

Selling a car, just venting

Started by wldgtx, May 28, 2020, 04:54:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

It's economy of scale.  If it costs $100,000 to buy tooling to make a part, that investment has to be recouped through sales of the part.  If you buy tooling to make a part for an e body, and you forecast total sales of 1000 parts over the next 5 years, whereas if you buy tooling to make a similar part for a Mustang and your forecast for total sales is 10,000 parts over 5 years due to their being so many more Mustangs out there, it becomes pretty apparent why an E body part is so much more expensive than a Camaro or Mustang part.

chargerdon

Selling a car is "easy".   Look a car or ANYTHING is worth what someone will pay for it!!! 

If after a couple months of advertising and dealing with "possible" buyers you haven't sold it then you are obviously asking MORE than someone will pay for it...   

Look i know we get attached to these vehicles and have spent a ton of money on them and therefore think their worth a mint, and we watch Mecum and Barrett Jackson and think...wow...is mine worth that much?   NO IT ISNT...   Lets say on Barrett Jackson a Cuda sales for $40,000.    The seller loses 8% so he only gets $36,800... plus it probably cost him $2,000 to have it transported there, and then there are the entry fees...   plus his transportation and lodging...   So in reality he nets maybe $30,000     

So, when you sell on craigslist and never have to do anything ...be prepared to deal with people many of which will be assholes...but... if you want to sell your not a dealer and your not guaranteeing anything so be prepared to take less !! 

71383bee

I've sold a few over the years and agree that the process can be very frustrating.  I had similar experience selling my 71 FC7 super bee.   All of the sudden a car that got lots of attention no one seemed interested in. Took it to Carlisle to sell and basically got "judged" which I really didn't mind as I was up front about what was done and I felt the price reflected it. Dealt with a few kickers through till Saturday when the right buyer walked straight up to the car and said I came here just to see this car. Worked out.  He didn't have cash that weekend but the next weekend he showed up at my house in Wisconsin with cash and a trailer. 

I will say that selling my roadrunner through gateway classics was actually a pretty painless process.  I wasn't  a huge collector dealer fan but once I learned the consignment ropes I think it's a pretty solid way to go.  For around 300 they take a boatload of pictures and list the car    The best part is that includes 3 months of storage at their showroom which was a brand new huge warehouse.  For price you set what you want and they add 6% and that is what they advertise. So if a price seems inflated it's usually the owner that causes that as they want a specific number. As stated earlier most people usually will settle for around 5-10% under their asking.  At that point it's about how firm your bottom dollar is. I got a call a month after listing telling me they had a buyer. I settled for around a grand less than my bottom dollar which was still 6k over what I bought it for so I made money in the deal.

I found out a lot of people would bring their cars in November and list it and essentially use it as storage for the winter. They would have a higher price but if it sells great, if not they pull it out in spring and drive it again.

The guys doing the selling are the wheeler dealer types and they are after their 6%. But considering how much hassle it was when I sold my bee I would not hesitate to go this route again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top