Main Menu

Severe weather season is here

Started by Burdar, March 06, 2017, 06:50:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

Quote from: Cuda_mark on December 07, 2020, 09:27:28 AM
It wasn't all that bad.

I guess the media likes to sensationalize it and air the worse of the worst; mass accumulation areas, car accidents, power outages, etc. Glad your vehicles dodged a bullet.

PLY474

Charger Pancaked in Windiana.  This is the dealership we got our 22 Challenger from. Their huge American Flag Pole came down in today's windstorm. Pancaked a Charger (a service customers vehicle). Can you image getting that call???  :o
https://www.21alivenews.com/2022/12/23/wind-topples-iconic-glenbrook-dodge-flagpole/
https://www.wane.com/top-stories/glenbrook-flag-pole-snaps-piece-lands-on-car/

torredcuda

My day yesterday - Power out early this morning from rain and 60+mph winds, go to plug in the generator and find out the plug I have doesn`t fit, can`t find anyone with the correct cord in stock, slip on ice and fall getting an extension cord from the decorations out in front of the house, wife walks in the door around 1pm - power comes on 5 minutes later, go to get her Jeep inspected and the shop screwed up my appointment and had to re-schedule, wife leaves to pick up pizza around 5pm and not 2 minutes after she left power go outs again.   :pullinghair:   It went from 50 degrees yesterday to single digits last night but power is still on this morning. The media makes a huge deal over "extreme weather" and "climate change" but science needs accurate data and how much do we really have, maybe 100 years on a planet 4.5 billion years old?

"At first glance, there appears to have been an increase in tornadoes since these records began, but that is not the full story. It was not until the early to mid-1990s that an extensive Doppler radar network was established in the United States for the detection of tornadoes. Until then, records relied on eyewitnesses to report tornado sightings, which means that if no one saw a tornado, it would not appear on weather records. This makes it hard for researchers to spot any long-term trends because the data is skewed by an increased detection of small tornadoes and tornadoes in sparsely populated areas after Doppler radar networks were introduced."
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

PLY474

You're not alone.  This morning my daughter says some liquid is coming out of the wall switch.  WTF?!?!  The short story, I think the hot water heater vent pipe in the attic either had condensation that dripped off into the wall or the high winds back drafted the vent pipe with the same effect.  I've lived in this house 15 years and never had such an issue.  The cold temperatures and high winds have been relentless. 

PLY474

For the engineers out there.  You can see how large the base of the flag pole is.  From the dealership website, "This flag measures 50 feet by 80 feet. The flagpole is 43 inches in diameter. The pole weighs 35,600 pounds! The base contains 400,000 lbs of concrete. The flag is made of nylon and weighs 80 pounds. The flag can last anywhere from 2 days to 2 months before it has to be changed. We believe this to be one of the largest continuously flying flags in the United States. It was erected in 2001."  Luckily no one was hurt / killed. 

torredcuda

Quote from: PLY474 on December 24, 2022, 09:03:53 AM
You're not alone.  This morning my daughter says some liquid is coming out of the wall switch.  WTF?!?!  The short story, I think the hot water heater vent pipe in the attic either had condensation that dripped off into the wall or the high winds back drafted the vent pipe with the same effect.  I've lived in this house 15 years and never had such an issue.  The cold temperatures and high winds have been relentless.

I didn`t even mention the roof leak I already had, noticed a wet spot in the bathroom ceiling around the exhaust fan a couple weeks ago. I need to call someone to come fix it as it`s 2 1/2 stories up and even if I had a ladder long enough I ain`t doing it!
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

PLY474

Wind damage to the roof?  Call insurance.  You might get the whole roof replaced. 

700 AKN

Some crazy drifting down near Chatham, ON.  You can barely see the cars on the road.

Dakota

My driveway Saturday morning and then this morning.

Jay Bee

Sister's place, Welland ON (south end). Garage door opening before & after Saturday Dec. 24

anlauto

Quote from: PLY474 on December 24, 2022, 09:09:16 AM
For the engineers out there.  You can see how large the base of the flag pole is.  From the dealership website, "This flag measures 50 feet by 80 feet. The flagpole is 43 inches in diameter. The pole weighs 35,600 pounds! The base contains 400,000 lbs of concrete. The flag is made of nylon and weighs 80 pounds. The flag can last anywhere from 2 days to 2 months before it has to be changed. We believe this to be one of the largest continuously flying flags in the United States. It was erected in 2001."  Luckily no one was hurt / killed.

Why does it only last 2 days to 2 months ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Just took this picture out our front window here in Georgetown ON Canada.....Looks like the grass in the front yard is almost covered....I might have to shovel our front steps/sidewalk, or just wait until it melts on Thursday/Friday.....
My neighbor used his leaf blower to clean his front walk... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

That's what it looks like in Rochester NY also. And we're only a small hour from Buffalo.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on December 25, 2022, 07:55:18 AM
Just took this picture out our front window here in Georgetown ON Canada.....Looks like the grass in the front yard is almost covered....I might have to shovel our front steps/sidewalk, or just wait until it melts on Thursday/Friday.....
My neighbor used his leaf blower to clean his front walk... :dunno:

Similar here, we got maybe 2" after all the media hype... ::)   sun has been shining all day so far...

PLY474

As a followup to the Dodge flag pole breaking, this link is a video of the deflection prior to breaking.  You can hear the metal stressing.  (Harry Baals is a former mayor.  Yes, really.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/fortwayne/comments/zu11nw/holy_harry_baals_is_that_flag_pole_gonna_snap/