Main Menu

How to tell if clutch fan is good?

Started by Fern, August 21, 2018, 04:00:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Fern

My challenger runs cool until it's over 90 outside. If it's under 90 then its ok. I have a new 3 core 26" radiator.  It's a 440.  I'm thinking it's the clutch fan? Any thoughts.  By the way I'm using the stock temp gauge and when it's gets hot it's almost all the way to the right.

1 Wild R/T

https://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/2007-hayden-fan-clutch.pdf

My suggestion....  Replace your clutch with a Hayden 2797.......Don't cost much & makes a big difference compared to a standard fan clutch..

fc7cuda

Testing your fan clutch?  Does it keep spinning after you shut off the motor?

Daveh

So of the 3 below which one is best for a mild 340?

1 Wild R/T

If you look at my post above I specifically point out the center choice...  It might be overkill but I've never had a problem with a car that runs to cool, the thermostat makes sure it doesn't.....

Daveh

Understood just wasn't sure if the note on Summit's site meant anything. 

1 Wild R/T

What it means is it fits properly, you don't have to use a bushing to adapt it like many universal fan clutches....  I also like the fact it doesn't have slots to fit multiple bolt patterns, it has two patterns & one is correct....

Daveh

GY3R/T

Be aware the Haydon 2797 fan clutch is just over an inch taller than a stock 070 unit. Check clearance between the unit and radiator.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GY3R/T on August 22, 2018, 06:35:17 PM
   Be aware the Haydon 2797 fan clutch is just over an inch taller than a stock 070 unit. Check clearance between the unit and radiator.

The 2797 is shorter then the Jaguar clutch....  It's fairly new & was released specifically to fit vintage muscle & provide more airflow.....  From the mounting flange face to the end of the seat sink measures 3.65.... On my Challenger with a big block & a thick radiator I have over 1.25 to the radiator....

Fern

Thanks for the replies.  I will start with a new gauge. I will also follow the advice and get a new clutch.
Thank you