Main Menu

Turkey and Covid?

Started by torredcuda, December 04, 2021, 04:10:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MKA

Quote from: oldmoparbuff on December 06, 2021, 01:56:22 PM

My tin foil hat on.  If I was to design a virus to destroy my enemies economies, I couldn't have done better.

You can put the tin foil hat aside.  It's not an unreasonable assumption that this escaped a Chinese lab based on what we know today and the Chinese have ensured we will know nothing more about the origination.   When the Chinese invade Taiwan, and it's only a question of when, we will regret every economic link we have them, nothing to say of the other negative implications.  It's unfortunate that it basically impossible to not buy from them now.  If we can't do the manufacturing here at least move it to a democratic country like India or Taiwan. 

NJ Steve sorry for your losses.  Was hoping we might escape such first person experiences.   I have the Shingles and tetanus shot on my list. Have to wait 2 months I think between shots.  And then have to remember to prioritize.  I don't get flu shots.  Never had the need, maybe when I hit 60 and it's more of a risk factor. 

I know 5 people that have been infected, all before vaccines were widely available.  Nothing serious, more like the flu and gone.  I have 2 co workers that had deaths in the family.  One had multiple.  No reason to doubt.  Like I said before would prefer to hear nothing more of all things COVID and everyone go about their lives. 

I would consider myself a liberal who lives a conservative mostly quiet life except for my many trips to Panama, Colombia, Costa Rica, and Dominican republic where I hope to die some day with many happy memories that I will never put in writing. 

worthywads

Quote from: torredcuda on December 06, 2021, 01:47:54 PM
I think along the same line, anytime someone thinks they know they are right about something just wait a bit and they will be proved wrong, history has proven that out every time.

So if I read you correct you are saying nobody has ever been right?

I think history has actually proven we actually do know a lot of things.

torredcuda

Quote from: ragtopdodge on December 06, 2021, 02:49:25 PM
People are sick and tired of Covid, yet we have 80M people in this country who refuse to do anything about it.

Won't wear masks.
Won't get vaccinated.
Won't social distance and still want to gather in large crowds

With Covid mutating to become MORE contagious and probably eventually MORE deadly, we will NEVER get rid of this like we did w/Polio.

It's like the same people complaining about gas prices, yet drive gas hog trucks/SUVs.

Welcome to the new normal including blaming others for the crisis we're in.

Yet you just blamed a bunch of groups for the continued pandemic.
The CDC finally admitted today that this is an endemic and will never go away, something many have been saying for a long time. All the shut downs, mask wearing, social distancing and vaccines may have slowed it down here and there but in the end did absolutely NOTHING to contain or erradicate Covid and anyone who told us it would was either grossly incompetant to predict that or outright lying.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

worthywads

Quote from: torredcuda on December 06, 2021, 04:26:45 PM
People are sick and tired of Covid, yet we have 80M people in this country who refuse to do anything about it.

Won't wear masks.
Won't get vaccinated.

With Covid mutating to become MORE contagious and probably eventually MORE deadly, we will NEVER get rid of this like we did w/Polio.

It's like the same people complaining about gas prices, yet drive gas hog trucks/SUVs.

The CDC finally admitted today that this is an endemic and will never go away, something many have been saying for a long time. All the shut downs, mask wearing, social distancing and vaccines may have slowed it down here and there but in the end did absolutely NOTHING to contain or erradicate Covid and anyone who told us it would was either grossly incompetant to predict that or outright lying.

Can you link to the CDC release you are referring to.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: worthywads on December 06, 2021, 09:59:16 AM
Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on December 05, 2021, 08:27:29 PM

Conduct this little experiment: talk to people who identify strongly as conservative or strongly as democrat. Ask them to provide a number of Covid deaths for people they know of to include family, neighbors, friends, co-workers etc. Conservatives will answer that they know of none or maybe 1 or 2. Democrats will answer 20 plus. I've even heard 50 once. Ask them how severe the disease was for those who didn't die. Conservatives will say symptoms were very mild for a couple days but democrats will always say it was the most horrible experience ever with the patient lingering near death on a ventilator for weeks. I've done this with lots of democrats I used to know in California and all the conservative people I've been getting to know in our new state of Tennessee. The results are always as I listed. How the hell can this be? Maybe the disease affects democrats more aggressively?

I conducted the poll as you described and got none of the results you got.

Asked 20 coworkers if they knew anyone that had died from covid.

14 democrats, most knew 0, 4 knew 1, 1 knew 2.  None reported knowing anything about severe, horrible experiences.  The 1 that knew 2 they were a couple, both already with conditions leaving them near death already.

6 republicans, 3 knew 0, 2 knew 1, 1 knew 2, same lack of knowledge of severity.

I challenge(r) others here to conduct this same experiment to see if anyone else gives answers at all like 70 Challenger Lover has found.

I'm highly doubtful your results will be duplicated 70 Challenger Lover.

For the test to be enlightening, it must be done with people who identify as strongly democrat and strongly conservative. The whole point I think you missed was that we tend to see the things that support our own points of view. The stronger your views, the more extreme your observations. And before you say it, I'm just as guilty of that as the next person. If you speak with balance minded people to confirm our disprove my point, it should be no surprise that you get balanced results.

I left an area in CA that was extremely left and they saw Covid as the end of mankind. The ones I still talk with still seem to see it that way. I now find myself in an extremely conservative area. Like still flying Trump flags conservative. And when I bring it up, those are the results I get. Believe it or don't believe it. I really have no reason to impress people in an online forum I've never met or likely will ever meet.

In your effort to poo-poo my comment, you altered the test by speaking with co-workers instead of the zealots I was referring to. Speak to people whose political views are very strong and I think you'll see what I was getting at. A good yardstick for measuring the strength of their political viewpoints would be to ask yourself, "could you see that person going to a political protest or rally on his or her time off in support of their beliefs?" I worked with many in CA that did just that. Not so much here in Tennessee but if they fly trump flags, it's not a stretch to see them at a conservative rally.

torredcuda

Quote from: worthywads on December 06, 2021, 04:59:28 PM
Quote from: torredcuda on December 06, 2021, 04:26:45 PM

Won't wear masks.
Won't get vaccinated.

Can you link to the CDC release you are referring to.

Maybe I heard it wrong and they said it will but haven`t actually called it yet?

worthywads

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on December 06, 2021, 05:02:37 PM
Quote from: worthywads on December 06, 2021, 09:59:16 AM
Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on December 05, 2021, 08:27:29 PM

Conduct this little experiment: talk to people who identify strongly as conservative or strongly as democrat. Ask them to provide a number of Covid deaths for people they know of to include family, neighbors, friends, co-workers etc. Conservatives will answer that they know of none or maybe 1 or 2. Democrats will answer 20 plus. I've even heard 50 once. Ask them how severe the disease was for those who didn't die. Conservatives will say symptoms were very mild for a couple days but democrats will always say it was the most horrible experience ever with the patient lingering near death on a ventilator for weeks. I've done this with lots of democrats I used to know in California and all the conservative people I've been getting to know in our new state of Tennessee. The results are always as I listed. How the hell can this be? Maybe the disease affects democrats more aggressively?

I conducted the poll as you described and got none of the results you got.

Asked 20 coworkers if they knew anyone that had died from covid.

14 democrats, most knew 0, 4 knew 1, 1 knew 2.  None reported knowing anything about severe, horrible experiences.  The 1 that knew 2 they were a couple, both already with conditions leaving them near death already.

6 republicans, 3 knew 0, 2 knew 1, 1 knew 2, same lack of knowledge of severity.

I challenge(r) others here to conduct this same experiment to see if anyone else gives answers at all like 70 Challenger Lover has found.

I'm highly doubtful your results will be duplicated 70 Challenger Lover.

For the test to be enlightening, it must be done with people who identify as strongly democrat and strongly conservative. The whole point I think you missed was that we tend to see the things that support our own points of view. The stronger your views, the more extreme your observations. And before you say it, I'm just as guilty of that as the next person. If you speak with balance minded people to confirm our disprove my point, it should be no surprise that you get balanced results.

I left an area in CA that was extremely left and they saw Covid as the end of mankind. The ones I still talk with still seem to see it that way. I now find myself in an extremely conservative area. Like still flying Trump flags conservative. And when I bring it up, those are the results I get. Believe it or don't believe it. I really have no reason to impress people in an online forum I've never met or likely will ever meet.

In your effort to poo-poo my comment, you altered the test by speaking with co-workers instead of the zealots I was referring to. Speak to people whose political views are very strong and I think you'll see what I was getting at. A good yardstick for measuring the strength of their political viewpoints would be to ask yourself, "could you see that person going to a political protest or rally on his or her time off in support of their beliefs?" I worked with many in CA that did just that. Not so much here in Tennessee but if they fly trump flags, it's not a stretch to see them at a conservative rally.

So I have to find someone that answers 20+ to then qualify them as the kind of zealot that you are referring to?

One of my respondents said roughly "I'm neither republican or democrat, I'm a Progressive, democrats are middle right, republicans are far right, and I'm left".  He knew no one that had died.

Boulder CO is pretty damned left with very strong views.  You made it sound easy for me to find people saying 20+, now I have to go to leftist rallies to do this experiment.

JH27N0B

The CDC will be the last to figure it out.  Like most government agencies, they are largely staffed by people who private industry rejected. Those who can, do, those who can't, can always get a government job!  :drunk:
Anyway, it's pretty much a given Covid, like the common cold, will always be around going forward. But with better treatments such as Pfizer and Merck are releasing now, and hopefully variations becoming weaker,as Omocron is appearing to be, it will become a disease few will die from or have serious complications from in the near future.  :fingerscrossed:
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-will-change-when-covid-becomes-endemic#What-will-endemic-COVID-look-like?

70 Challenger Lover

Dude you don't have to do anything and you know it. You obviously think I'm full of shit and you set out with that mindset. I don't object to you thinking I'm full of it but at least be transparent about it. I highly doubt you talked to anyone but let's say you did. In one day, you had a detailed conversation with twenty separate people about a topic that's become highly controversial? Really? More likely you talked to a bunch of average joes in the break room at work and conducted a group discussion. Hardly a good way to get anywhere meaningful. They all just developed a group mentality and provided milk toast answers because people are either afraid of speaking out or tired of it all together. And after you botched the little experiment and got the conclusion you wanted to get from the start, you called me out on it and even followed it up by openly declaring your prediction that everyone else would come to the same conclusion as you. Doesn't sound very impartial at all. In a way, your proving my point by demonstrating that lots of people will come to conclusions not based on an intellectual thought process but simply by following the crowd and looking only at the information which supports what you already think.

I regret allowing myself to get drawn into yet another stupid political discussion as they never change anything. I left CA to get away from "enlightened" individuals like yourself. So on that note, I'm bowing out of this thread and you can declare yourself the winner if that means something to you.

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you're in an area that allows you to get your rides out once in a while. If any of you ever pass through Tennessee, swing by the new shop and join me for a drink and a cigar while I wrench on whatever latest project I'm working on.

FSHTAIL

Mariam-Webster recently redefined the definition of "Anti-Vaxxer" to include anyone that's against "Mandates" 

Things that make you go hmmmmm   :ohyeah:   
I verified this myself using the Waybackmachine website that archives millions of websites..   
This was about a week ago..   

I guess not wanting to be forced to make a medical decision makes you an Anti-Vaxxer   
Neat   
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

torredcuda

Found it, something even dumb people like me knew, that it wasn`t going away amytime soon -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2RxCosAKYk

FSHTAIL

Quote from: torredcuda on December 07, 2021, 03:45:09 AM
Found it, something even dumb people like me knew, that it wasn`t going away amytime soon -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2RxCosAKYk

They can't even cure the common cold
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

torredcuda

Quote from: worthywads on December 06, 2021, 04:19:31 PM
Quote from: torredcuda on December 06, 2021, 01:47:54 PM
I think along the same line, anytime someone thinks they know they are right about something just wait a bit and they will be proved wrong, history has proven that out every time.

So if I read you correct you are saying nobody has ever been right?

I think history has actually proven we actually do know a lot of things.

When it comes to science, predictions and those type of things we are always learning more so things constatly evolve as we do whicj almost always changes the outcome. Look at all the banned substances we used to think were great - asbestos, lead, tri K, I remember when prominent Drs started telling us eggs were very bad for us then years later completely change thier opinion. There is a long list of those type of things.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/natashaumer/science-facts-you-might-have-believed-in-the-90s

https://www.bustle.com/articles/72089-5-illegal-drugs-that-were-once-used-in-everyday-products-from-meth-diet-pills-to-heroin

https://theconversation.com/five-foods-that-used-to-be-bad-for-you-but-now-arent-50333

cuda hunter

The head of the CDC won't even answer simple questions.  Questions we Americans can understand.
Let's just keep following people who won't answer our questions.  Sounds like a good plan.   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Here is a disgusting video of Fauci lying and denying gain of function. 
He says he "believes" against the evidence that has been found. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee