Main Menu

USPS plays football with package and loses contents

Started by usraptor, January 19, 2024, 12:27:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Don't use USPS to mail packages without insuring the contents!  For the first time in forever, I forgot to insure a package containing a used steering box that a forum member purchased from me and that I mailed via USPS.  Since the steering box is obviously rather heavy I packed in a sturdy box with expandable, now hard foam, on both the top and bottom of the steering box as shown in the attached pictures. Because of the indents in the foam, the steering box was almost completely encased in the foam.  All other open spaces inside the box were solidly packed with shipping paper.  Yet, as the attached pictures show, USPS shipping personnel played Rugby with the package and inspite of it being well packaged managed to rip a large hole in the side of the box causing the steering box to fall out. Then they didn't have the courtesy or common decency to put it back in the box and reseal the box, instead they acutally delivered the empty box to the forum member.  So who knows where the steering box is now!! Either use UPS or Fed Ex to mail packages or make sure you insure the contents for at least the current value or even more whenever you use USPS to mail packages!  Of all the times I have insured packages over the years, I have never had to file a claim.  The one time I forgot to insure the package, USPS destroys the box and loses the contents!! Then to top if off when I try to file a claim on the USPS website, ever time I fill out the form and try and submit the claim, it sends me back to the claim page that I just filled out; but now half the information I filled out is missing and I have to re-fill out the form and try again. After three attemps I gave up and called USPS help line and the only thing they tell me was to try a different browser! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Challenger in NC

The incompetence, unprofessionalism and lack of integrity by some people is beyond frustrating.

JH27N0B

I really used to enjoy selling my excess stuff online, but things have changed so much for the worst over the years I haven't tried to sell anything for awhile.
Shipping issues such as cost and unreliable service is one issue.
Payment is another with the risk of issues about paying taxes on stuff I'm probably losing money selling, but don't have receipts for things I bought decades ago to prove what I paid.
Then add fees like PayPal and eBay.  It's just not worth it anymore to me.
I've got so much clutter I'd like to find new homes for, I wish I could go back 10 or so years when things were better and sell it all!

blown motor

Last winter I shipped a steering box to Firm Feel, I think it was, for a rebuild. Sent it USPS. They received an empty box. USPS must be getting a collection of steering boxes. I've always had success with USPS but its looking like if you have something heavy you need to do business somewhere else.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Jay Bee

Whenever I ship to the Us (I'm in Canada) I tie a label with the recipient's info to the item in the event it might get separated from the package. This is more in case customs opens it then aren't sure where it came from.

Sorry for your troubles.

usraptor

Quote from: Jay Bee on January 19, 2024, 02:39:22 PMWhenever I ship to the Us (I'm in Canada) I tie a label with the recipient's info to the item in the event it might get separated from the package. This is more in case customs opens it then aren't sure where it came from.

Sorry for your troubles.
That's a great idea. Wish I had thought about doing that.  I will do it in the future. 

Jay Bee

I find that the ones with a reinforced eyelet and wire are best for large/heavy things. I make my own for small items.

captcolour

I hate shipping anything anymore.  I'm at the Tampa RV show and was seriously considering buying a new tow vehicle for my 5th wheel.  I had my daughter back home FedEx me the title to my truck, priority overnight, to arrive at the fairgrounds on Thursday morning by 10:30am.  Cost $105!  It is now Saturday and the package still hasn't left Memphis.  I could redirect the package to a FedEx pickup location in a Walgreens because I'm gone from the fairgrounds on Sunday and would have no way to get it once it arrives (if it does).  Once I actually get it, will fight them for a refund.