Main Menu

Whole House Electronic Air Filters

Started by 1 Wild R/T, May 01, 2018, 09:24:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Don't know if anyone has any experience with these things, I recently replaced my HVAC system, the contractors all tried to up sell a high end filter system.... At first I wasn't at all interested but decided to look into it some... Lots of people claim reduced allergies, less headaches caused by allergens & assorted other health claims.... 

Since the systems are designed to fit into the HVAC install it was a now or never deal... And since it's against my beliefs to pay full boat I found the top rated system online for substantially less than half what the contractor wanted....

Anyway, the system has been in less than a week and I gotta say the difference is amazing, the little stuff you see floating in the air when the sun hits it? Gone!  We have a glass dining table that always looks dusty to the point momma would clean it twice & sometimes three times a day... It hasn't been cleaned in three days & looks spotless.... Momma & I both are breathing better.... I'm impressed....

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 01, 2018, 09:30:57 PM
So: I guess the shop air is next?

I'm afraid they don't make a filter big enough... :rofl:   

ToxicWolf

They make a big difference for people with allergies.  :wave:

Dakota

What system did you end up using?  My wife would benefit from reduced dust and allergens in the house.

Jay Bee

Cool stuff. Finally a product that actually lives up to its claims.

mopar jack

Got the Clean Comfort filtering system when we upgraded our hvac. The filter works well, it is an electrostatic system that can produce ozone so you will use carbon filters down stream to remove odors. These systems don't use throw away filter media and require very delicate cleaning.

Timbbuc2

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 01, 2018, 09:24:51 PM
Don't know if anyone has any experience with these things, I recently replaced my HVAC system, the contractors all tried to up sell a high end filter system.... At first I wasn't at all interested but decided to look into it some... Lots of people claim reduced allergies, less headaches caused by allergens & assorted other health claims.... 

Since the systems are designed to fit into the HVAC install it was a now or never deal... And since it's against my beliefs to pay full boat I found the top rated system online for substantially less than half what the contractor wanted....

Anyway, the system has been in less than a week and I gotta say the difference is amazing, the little stuff you see floating in the air when the sun hits it? Gone!  We have a glass dining table that always looks dusty to the point momma would clean it twice & sometimes three times a day... It hasn't been cleaned in three days & looks spotless.... Momma & I both are breathing better.... I'm impressed....
Sounds interesting my wife could use that
Get in, I'll drive

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: mopar jack on May 02, 2018, 07:07:04 AM
Got the Clean Comfort filtering system when we upgraded our hvac. The filter works well, it is an electrostatic system that can produce ozone so you will use carbon filters down stream to remove odors. These systems don't use throw away filter media and require very delicate cleaning.

I got the Aprilaire 5000, similar deal electrostatic, creates ozone but the media is replaceable, yes that means a reoccurring expense, but I just throw away 99% of the dirt rather then having to clean it which sounds like an invitation to a allergy attack....  The company suggests new filters once a year, most HVAC companies seem to suggest they need to service the system every six months.... Most folks that do their own service say they get between 12-24 months out of a filter.., ( The filter is 5" thick with allot of pleats so there is lots of filter area.... New filters are around $35..... Which is about the cost of a couple filtrete filters, which plug up in a couple months & this is way more effective....

Timbbuc2

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 02, 2018, 08:24:19 AM
Quote from: mopar jack on May 02, 2018, 07:07:04 AM

I got the Aprilaire 5000, similar deal electrostatic, creates ozone but the media is replaceable, yes that means a reoccurring expense, but I just throw away 99% of the dirt rather then having to clean it which sounds like an invitation to a allergy attack....  The company suggests new filters once a year, most HVAC companies seem to suggest they need to service the system every six months.... Most folks that do their own service say they get between 12-24 months out of a filter.., ( The filter is 5" thick with allot of pleats so there is lots of filter area.... New filters are around $35..... Which is about the cost of a couple filtrete filters, which plug up in a couple months & this is way more effective....
Thanks for the info, I am going to check into this,
Get in, I'll drive

ToxicWolf

When we had a system like this I noticed a snap or popping sound now and then. Sometimes a small partical will get vaporized. Don't worry if you hear this. It's okay.  :wave:

mopar jack

On my system it's the electrostatic unit with a grid of small wires that needs to be cleaned. That's the byproduct of the zapping.

7212Mopar

In the past it was the electrostatic plate type cleaner. Now mostly charged wires on fiber media type panel filter. They should be OK if reciculating like for residential application. If you have large amount of outside air that is high on humidity (foggy rainy days) then be careful or it might get shorted if media got wet.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Challenger in NC

Last week we had an HVAC company come to check our unit since there was an odor due to mold buildup on the A/C coil. The coil can be cleaned periodically but some of the mold gets carried up into the ductwork. They proposed installing an air scrubber system to treat not only the coil but the whole distribution system. The system utilizes UV bulbs and a metal coil to disinfect the air using hydrogen and oxygen. They are not cheap at around $1200 each and since we have a separate system for each floor, that doubles the cost. The other downside is bulb replacement, each system uses a bulb that costs about $200 and must be replaced every 2-3 years. I decided to clean the coil myself and hold off with the purchase unless the odor comes back. We are not smokers, do not have pets, nor is there anyone in the house with bad allergies, but apparently this system does wonders for people who are in that situation.  There is a cheaper option of installing a UV bulb to treat only the A/C coil and you can get a similar system that works with your clothes washer, eliminates the need for hot water and laundry detergent.