Main Menu

S-83 Rim blow steering wheel functionality

Started by Bad Bird, October 20, 2021, 09:21:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bad Bird

Hi All!

I have never owned a car with a rim blow type steering wheel, but I sure like the way they look! To anyone who owns (or has owned) a car with this option, how 'finicky' are they? Do they go off the moment you grip the wheel, or do you need to dig your fingers in the right spot to get them to blow? Thanks!

cudamadd

Hi Bad Bird I have one in my car . They do look good  :iagree: For me I have to push my fingers in firmly to get it to sound off . Very similar to our XA or XB Ford falcons here in oz . :australia:

Bad Bird

Okay, so it sounds like they don't completely give up practicality for looks (which they definitely have in spades). The irony here is that I used to own an XB Hardtop (351C, Toploader, 9 inch), but I've still never owned anything with a rim blow wheel!

jt4406

Works like it should, not finiky or touchy.   (restored by the late Jerome Verbitt)
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

anlauto

The reproduction ones are REAL touchy  :alan2cents:  just ask member @70rag383  :verymad:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

erik70rt

Quote from: anlauto on October 21, 2021, 04:50:46 AM
The reproduction ones are REAL touchy  :alan2cents:  just ask member @70rag383  :verymad:

Good to know, Alan.  I was debating on one of these for my car.  Anyone else have experience with the repops? 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

70rag383

The rimblow was very frustrating for me. My car has manual steering so it's always 2 hands on the wheel when making a turn. Every time I'd go around a corner I would be making the horn go off   :verymad: Then after a few months the rimblow just stopped working due to some problem with the contacts inside the rubber switch.  I love the look of the rimblow so I modified the steering wheel slightly to work with the standard horn switch that I got from Alan so it still looks like a rimblow but functions like a standard wheel.  :bigthumb:

b5cuda

Thanks for raising this question, I've been wondering the same.  Do you think the over-sensitive response was caused by the reproduction switch, or the reproduction wheel?  And was it complicated to convert to a center horn switch?

Bad Bird

Quote from: 70rag383 on October 21, 2021, 06:57:38 AM
The rimblow was very frustrating for me. My car has manual steering so it's always 2 hands on the wheel when making a turn. Every time I'd go around a corner I would be making the horn go off   :verymad: Then after a few months the rimblow just stopped working due to some problem with the contacts inside the rubber switch.  I love the look of the rimblow so I modified the steering wheel slightly to work with the standard horn switch that I got from Alan so it still looks like a rimblow but functions like a standard wheel.  :bigthumb:

This is really good information, thank you! So it sounds like original rim blow wheels are the way to go (other than finding one and the cost of restoration).

QuoteThanks for raising this question, I've been wondering the same.  Do you think the over-sensitive response was caused by the reproduction switch, or the reproduction wheel?  And was it complicated to convert to a center horn switch?

These are great questions. I too am interested what was involved in modifying a repro rim blow to take a standard horn switch.

Plumcrazzy

Just my understanding of Rimblows (I have restored dozens and dozens). Most of them were troublesome. Slow speed--start to turn using an underhand grip--horn goes off. Happened a lot. Most folks got rid of them. This contributed to the rarity of Rimblows because they were w problem.

FE5CUDA

Quote from: Plumcrazzy on October 21, 2021, 05:52:46 PM
Just my understanding of Rimblows (I have restored dozens and dozens). Most of them were troublesome. Slow speed--start to turn using an underhand grip--horn goes off. Happened a lot. Most folks got rid of them. This contributed to the rarity of Rimblows because they were w problem.

That is 100% correct typically on manual steering cars.

worthywads

My reproduction rim blow has worked flawlessly for 2 years.  No issues, I use it occasionally just to check if it is still working.

Power steering.

Bad Bird

It really sounds like they work just fine on power steering cars, but are a bit of a nightmare with manual steering. I guess the manual steering guys can always modify the hub to make a standard horn switch...

Mr Lee

My car didn't come with one but I added a restored original and love it.  Power steering car.  I don't think it's ever gone off accidentally.  You pretty much have to use your fingertips.  Very nice looking wheel in my opinion. 

I saw an old Mustang at a car show and the wheel had horn buttons on the spokes of the steering wheel.  The guy said he hits the horn accidentally all the time.  lol   
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.