Main Menu

Rim Blow Steering Wheel

Started by erik70rt, January 29, 2018, 07:34:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

What's a typical cracked Rim Blow needing a full resto go for nowadays?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

EV2RTSE

It really depends on the condition of the spokes, if they're nice I would say at least $100-$150. If they're pitted, then much less.

Cuda_mark

Quote from: EV2RTSE on January 29, 2018, 08:09:37 AM
It really depends on the condition of the spokes, if they're nice I would say at least $100-$150. If they're pitted, then much less.

I would agree, it really depends on the spoke condition. I think I paid $200 for mine with excellent spokes but cracked wheel.

erik70rt

EV2RTSE

Not bad but not great either. Price isn't out of line. Some of the crud on the spokes will likely clean up but some looks like it won't too. Center cap is for a '71 but they make repops of the 70 Dodge cap for like a hundred bucks or so. Nice cores are getting harder to find but they're still out there, I think I would hold out for a little bit better one IMO.

erik70rt

Thanks!  I thought this was a little high but since I never looked at them before thought I would get some other opinions.

Cuda_mark

Quote from: EV2RTSE on January 29, 2018, 08:28:11 AM
Not bad but not great either. Price isn't out of line. Some of the crud on the spokes will likely clean up but some looks like it won't too. Center cap is for a '71 but they make repops of the 70 Dodge cap for like a hundred bucks or so. Nice cores are getting harder to find but they're still out there, I think I would hold out for a little bit better one IMO.

I agree, hold out for a better core. It's all about the spokes!

Plumcrazzy

Spokes! Spokes! Spokes!!! Everything else can be restored or purchased repro. I have had the pleasure of restoring many of these wheels but all that I agreed to restore had nice to excellent spokes. If you are shopping for a Rimblow keep the following in mind:
1.  You will need to purchase a new switch and have it installed or do it yourself.
2.  You will need the proper center cap
3.  You will need the pigtail that installs on the back side of the wheel
4.  You will need the spoke cover that hides the wiring connections and the correct mounting screw. (bottom spoke)