Main Menu

1970-71 OEM E-body Rim Blow Steering Wheel Challenger Cuda

Started by 72and86, February 19, 2022, 08:40:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72and86

Question, Always wanted a rim blow wheel for my 70 Cuda but see the offerings almost always have chunks missing from the wheel, requiring restoration. Ive also watched steering wheel restore videos too but what is this wheel made of? Is it actually wood or some kind of plastic composite? Restoring a real wood wheel would be very difficult but if its a plastic type material it should be fairly easy?

Are there are concerns regarding functionality too?
I know retros are available too but sky-high.
Thanks Steve

EV2RTSE

They're plastic and with originals being 50+ years old and often exposed to hot and cold temps they tend to be brittle. I've seen a restored original crack somewhere it hadn't already been repaired, so one advantage to a repop with new and probably better plastic is that it should hold up better. The switches are a little tricky to install and are easily damaged if not careful. Some do go it themselves but if you wanted to send one out either Doug Lepak in Canada or David Tays (Plumbeeper) are both excellent.

Floyd

Getting a nicely restored original is going to being more expensive than the REPRO route.  If you're not concerned with originality I'd go the repro route.  That said, no personal experience with the repros but I think people have posted about them here and on other Mopar forums.

anlauto

The reproduction ones are really sensitive and honk a lot  :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70rag383

Quote from: anlauto on February 19, 2022, 05:11:08 PM
Especially if your car has manual steering.  :yes:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340Challman

Quote from: 70rag383 on February 19, 2022, 05:39:45 PM
Quote from: anlauto on February 19, 2022, 05:11:08 PM
Especially if your car has manual steering.  :yes:

:haha: :rofl: Just move to New York City. No one will notice.  :driving:
Kevin

Mr Cuda

Had one, calledit the embarrassing horn. No, I'm not trying to get you to look at me while I'm parking.
Switched to a tuff wheel for the smaller diameter and padding.