Main Menu

'71 Cuda Bucket Seats

Started by Claudia, September 12, 2018, 12:13:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Claudia

I disassembled my front bucket seats and they do not have any springs in the backs . . . is this normal?  :clueless:
Below are some pictures of the bottom and back as they came apart.

Claudia

My assumption would be that I have '72 - '74 seat backs . . . if that is true, can I install my new '71 foam and new '71 seat covers without any issues?

RJChallenger

Are the two foams identical or completely different ? Are the old skins the same as the new skins?

Claudia

:angry: I checked last night and the foams and covers are both different.

Claudia

Here are some pictures of my new seat foam.

Shane Kelley

Here's my frames.

RJChallenger

Without pictures of your new foam , I would say no. If you are correct in having 72 and later seats the foam is considerable thicker. Here's two seat backs identical in shape. One has springs and the foam is about 1 " thick. It will fit the frame without springs,but no support. If your new foam is like this  Oct /69 seat seat foam (1" thick ) you need a frame with springs. If your new foam is very thick,rigid and has metal bars to attach the seat cover you might be able to use them. I'm converting the one with springs into a 70 style. They have different mounting hole locations for hinge covers,  different size hole for the latch release.

Claudia

Okay, I am fairly certain that my seat back frames are not going to work.  I have new '71 seat back foam, new '71 seat back covers and new '71 plastic seat backs so now I guess I need to find a set of '71 seat back frames.  Anybody here have any laying around?  :fingerscrossed:

RJChallenger

I seem to recall EBay had some seat backs only not (70/71) to long ago.Rough looking on the outside but they had the springs. Good luck hunting.

Claudia

Yeah, I just looked but only saw one seat back thus far.

Can anyone confirm if the bucket seat bottom frames are the same?

RJChallenger

Yes. I'm positive the bases is the same. Interchangeable from side to side. The backs are specific because of the latch release.  Good luck

Claudia

Thank you!  I am on the hunt for backs only and wanted to ensure that my bottoms would work . . . of course, I may have to end up buying whole seat frames.

Claudia

I do not think this is original . . . can anyone confirm is this seat frame has been repaired / welded back together in the areas that I noted in red?

RJChallenger

Yes it does look like it 's been repaired. From what I see it looks fairly well done. What does the weld look like from the other side? Good penetration?

Claudia

I am trying to obtain better pictures of the other side to try to see the quality of the weld.
Would you be hesitant to install the seat in your own car knowing it was repaired?

Also, is there any concern with the missing spring? 
It seems to be missing one of the cross springs as well.