Main Menu

73 Cuda sail panels, who makes THE BEST

Started by Crash520, April 01, 2017, 02:11:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

The headliner material is called Yorkshire.  My Challenger uses it too.  I guess I just assumed a Cuda would have extra Yorkshire material covering the sail panels...no?  Did you get extra material to cover them from SMS?

I got my headliner from Dante.  SMS and Dante sent me samples.  The SMS was an exact match.  The headliner I bought used thicker material but looks correct when installed.  It was WAY cheaper then SMS.  The excess material from the back glass area came with it.

Crash520

No I didn't Burdar, oh, wait, yes they did send some out from memory (its currently packed away), however I'll just replace as per original which was the semi gloss black vinyl (very thin covering on the sail panels) as I prefer that over the Yorkshire, and as the yorkshire is basically lined material, I think it might look a little odd having lines going in opposing directions roof going one way, sail panels going the other. So I'll wait for Legendary to get back to me and pick up a set next time I'm over in the US, carry them back as hand luggage.
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

anlauto

Greg
You need to post pictures of these sail panels....I can't recall seeing anything like it.

Are there other 1973 Cuda owners out there that can share photos of their sail panels :takepicture:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

70-72 sail panels just used extra perforated material right?

Larry(HooD) from CC.com is the original owner of a 73 Cuda.  He'd know.

Crash520

Sail pics as requested
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Crash520

more
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Burdar

If that's correct, you should be able to replace it with any black vinyl.  You can probably find it at a local fabric store.  A craft store might even have the correct cardboard backing.  Buy a sheet of it and cut out what you need.  That would be easier then having new ones shipped from the US.

anlauto

Okay, thank you.....I do recall seeing those type panels before....never thought of them as a "vinyl" but I guess that's what it could be....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Crash520

Its not a vinyl covering as such, not sure what it is, like a thin veneer, backing is a brown colour, almost looks like thick brown paper?? also the lower rear of these panels have a foam block about 5/8" thick, 2 1/2" long, 3/4" wide as a standoff in the lower rear edge on both sides
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

anlauto

Yea, it's like a laminated cardboard. I do recall seeing them before.

Burdar

I sent a PM to Larry.  Here is his response...

QuoteHi Darren,
The sail panel in my Cuda is a smooth type of vinyl or vinyl coated cardboard piece.  It is NOT cloth material like the headliner.
Glad to help out anytime.  Larry

Crash520

Im going to look at re making a set out here, what do you think the backboard is made of, initially i thought it might be fiberboard but it looks more like dense cardboard of about a 1/16" thick, anyone have an insight on this???, cutting them out is easy enough, I'm pretty sure I can find a colored contact to cover them with or similar.
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

71TA

Quote from: Crash520 on April 05, 2017, 01:55:09 PM
Its not a vinyl covering as such, not sure what it is, like a thin veneer, backing is a brown colour, almost looks like thick brown paper?? also the lower rear of these panels have a foam block about 5/8" thick, 2 1/2" long, 3/4" wide as a standoff in the lower rear edge on both sides

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the foam block on the back. And a picture of these installed in the car.

Couple questions.
- Dont these go under the headline material like most Mopars?
- Do they use any clips to hold them in? Pictures?
- Are they the same for all 70-74 Barracuda's?
- Lastly, anyone have a set I can use to duplicate, accurately.

Jim Fillmore
Detroit Muscle Technologies

cataclysm80

They're not the same for all years.
The covering that goes over them is different.

71TA

I'm duplicating the factory sail panels for a Canadian customer. He provided his originals from his 73 or 74.

My question is what are people using for the "vinyl" covering. Would you paint these or find a vinyl to cover them? I'd even be willing to invest in a black and a white vinyl but selecting the color would be tough. i don't know if these are an off white or a faded white. And black. there are a bunch of different blacks.

Jim Fillmore