Main Menu

Ac heater box rebuild

Started by Shoooter, February 10, 2017, 12:38:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

screamindriver

Nice thread !! Great pics and Thanks for the link to the striped vacuum hoses I never seem to fine them when I'm looking...I grab some at the boneyard from different models when I think about it...
   I have a small table top glass bead cabinet I have some super fine media in...I seal up the pods then LIGHTLY blast the pods using low pressure...Even great care will still blast them too much if you get carried away...

anlauto

Quote from: jetmech on February 13, 2017, 04:44:21 PM
Quote from: Car-nutt on February 13, 2017, 10:46:12 AM
Great pictures! Do you know if anyone is reproducing the correct vacuum hoses?

@Car-nutt   Check out this link, I haven't bought from them but found the site when looking for AC parts for my car.   http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/vacuum-parts/23-0905/vacuum-p-2670.html?Make=Plymouth&Model=Barracuda&Year=1970

That's pretty cool.... :ohyeah:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

It's neat that those color coded hoses are available, but the reason I didn't take pictures of the control switch end of the hoses is that the factory hoses have a molded on connector end that doesn't allow you to plug them in wrong.

If you're trying to make a new hose set with those, it won't have the connector like factory, and you'll need to know which port on the switch to plug each hose on.

I suppose you could use them to patch a damaged factory hose set.

jetmech

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 13, 2017, 06:40:01 PM
It's neat that those color coded hoses are available, but the reason I didn't take pictures of the control switch end of the hoses is that the factory hoses have a molded on connector end that doesn't allow you to plug them in wrong.

If you're trying to make a new hose set with those, it won't have the connector like factory, and you'll need to know which port on the switch to plug each hose on.

I suppose you could use them to patch a damaged factory hose set.

I believe they also sell the socket adapter for the vacuum hoses. I didn't see the locking clip to secure it to the switch set though. @cataclysm80 Do you think the one in the link below is what you mentioned what @Car-nutt would need?
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/switches/23-0624/vacuum-socket-p-12370.html?Make=Plymouth&Model=Barracuda&Year=1970

cataclysm80

Difficult to tell with their watermark over the image like that.
It might work.
It looks like they have a pretty good parts selection.  I bet if you called them and asked, they would know or could check.

anlauto

I was thinking more of vacuum lines under the hood of a 73-74 with all that pollution crap. I restored a 73 years ago and had to buy an air grabber hose kit to get the colour keyed hoses.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

I have my original AC heater core and the foam strip goes on the bottom. With the new one the tab is different ( I checked 2 of them ) and they say just to put it on the bottom of the heater core. I will have to shorten the foam piece. Does this sound right?

cataclysm80

I don't recall, but I think the idea is to seal around the heater core so that air goes THROUGH it, not AROUND it.

Test fit it into the box to see if it looks like it would seal well.

I do remember that my replacement heater core had fitment issues from the flat plate being attached crooked when it was made, and I had to trim one edge of that plate or something for a good fit.

Shoooter

Two heater cores and both don't fit. Hopefully the last two in Canada fit better. They soldered the tube bracket too high and it won't sit in there nice. The flat part doesn't fit well either. I might have to move the bracket to get it to fit.

cataclysm80

I had to take the new heater core for my 70 Roadrunner to the local radiator shop and have them make some adjustments.

bc3j

Everything on this site is great. The pictures are timely for me. I'm going through some ducting on my '70 and found a cracked duct from the ac box.  However it doesn't look like the one in post #21. It appears to attach differently than mine. The swing door has 26995511 stamped on the swing door. Is that duct available anywhere? I'm trying to workout an answer to the cracked area.

headejm

@bc3j You have the correct part for. 1970 AC system. Besides the crack, you are also missing a section. Here is my duct.

bc3j

Thanks headejm. Do you have the same number on the swing door as I do?

headejm

Yes, same p/n as you listed.  :ohyeah:

cataclysm80

Quote from: headejm on February 20, 2017, 03:10:56 PM
@bc3j You have the correct part for. 1970 AC system.

1970 only?  Did the part change in later years?
I think I've only seen one version.