Main Menu

Ac heater box rebuild

Started by Shoooter, February 10, 2017, 12:38:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

Now for some pics of the vacuum pods & hoses. The hoses are color coded, here's where they should go.

cataclysm80

Here's how this vacuum pod is supposed to go...

cataclysm80

Here's how this door is supposed to go inside the box. Wouldn't want to put it on backwards, that wouldn't work right.
(multiple pics of the same thing)

It's important to note that in order to avoid extreme difficulty, it's easiest by far to install the AC or heater box before the Dash, and install the Dash before the windshield.

cataclysm80

The blower motor seal is shaped to clip onto the blower motor.

cataclysm80

Here's a restored box

cataclysm80

More pics of the restored box

cataclysm80

Make sure to test your vacuum pods.
The diaphragm inside is usually alright, but sometimes the shaft seal dries up and leaks air.  There's some kind of seal conditioner you can put on it which is supposed to help it seal again.  (sorry, I don't remember what the seal condition is called.)

Cuda Cody

:worship:   :unbelievable:  :worship:  @cataclysm80  you did an amazing job!!!!  You should really think about doing that full time.  Really top notch work.   :clapping:

Shoooter

Wow thank you thank you thank you!!! This is what I needed. How did you get the metal piece so clean? Did you paint the box or black plastic pieces?

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 13, 2017, 08:36:12 AM
:worship:   :unbelievable:  :worship:  @cataclysm80  you did an amazing job!!!!  You should really think about doing that full time.  Really top notch work.   :clapping:

The unrestored box is all mine, but I can't take credit for that restored box.  It was done by Jules, and I saved the pictures for reference.  Jules passed away many years ago now.  He did amazing work.

Cuda Cody

I still have one of the Wiper Motors he did for me.  Haven't been able to bring myself to use it yet.  It sits on display in his honor.  He is missed by many people in the hobby.   :(  thank you for saving those photos and sharing them now.  It helps keep his memory alive!   :clapping:

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 13, 2017, 10:26:49 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 13, 2017, 08:36:12 AM

The unrestored box is all mine, but I can't take credit for that restored box.  It was done by Jules, and I saved the pictures for reference.  Jules passed away many years ago now.  He did amazing work.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Shoooter on February 13, 2017, 09:20:10 AM
Wow thank you thank you thank you!!! This is what I needed. How did you get the metal piece so clean? Did you paint the box or black plastic pieces?

Here are some restoration notes from Jules, who did that box.  All of the metal pieces were removed and replated.  He used Detroit Muscle Technologies for gaskets.

"New evaporators are not available. Fixing the old one is the only way.
Rivets are available from Spaenaur Fasteners 1-800-265-8772. You will also need the tool to install them.

The exterior casing is washed thoroughly then I bead blast it with MIL-13 glass bead.
This is a very fine glass bead that does not damage the surface. I then apply a thin coat
of satin clear. It freshens it back to life. When I get a box that has damage , I painstaking
try to graft another piece from a donor box back on. If the original broken piece is still there,
I can glue it back on, sand away carefully and then blend the colors with some graphite grey finish."

Car-nutt

Great pictures! Do you know if anyone is reproducing the correct vacuum hoses?

cataclysm80

I've seen them listed in restoration distributor catalogs in years past, so someone made/makes them, but I've no idea what the quality is like. 
My originals were fine, so I just cleaned them up.

jetmech

Quote from: Car-nutt on February 13, 2017, 10:46:12 AM
Great pictures! Do you know if anyone is reproducing the correct vacuum hoses?

@Car-nutt   Check out this link, I haven't bought from them but found the site when looking for AC parts for my car.   http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/vacuum-parts/23-0905/vacuum-p-2670.html?Make=Plymouth&Model=Barracuda&Year=1970