Main Menu

Ash tray questions

Started by fireguyfire, March 14, 2019, 03:58:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Holy flash back to the 70's starting a thread about an ashtray!
Cleaning up and refreshing the dash in my 73 challenger and I noticed the ash tray is in rough shape, probably due to heavy usage!
It has a bunch of chips around the front edges, rusty type areas in the ash tray itself, and the paint has worn off of most of the pot metal handle.
I am contemplating head blasting the whole thing, and that brings up a few questions.
What sheen of black paint is the dash and ashtray front; satin rattle can would look the closest but I'm curious to hear your suggestions on that.
The ashtray itself looks like it was some sort of zinc plated bare metal originally; can anyone suggest a good way to recreate that look after bead blasting?
And finally, was the ashtray handle originally all black, or was it polished? It looks like there is dash paint in the recessed low part of the handle where it's riveted up against the ashtray door, but I don't know if the higher part of the handle that you would grab was polished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodj

Semi gloss black is what I used. Handle is painted.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

6Pack70

To do it on the cheap and make it look pretty nice, glass bead the whole thing,  use Sems  black self etch primer, then Sems Trim Black on the handle and door.  Use a couple light coats of chrome spray paint on the ash receiver and it should look nice. 

nsmall

:iagree:

I would just be concerned if the paint on the dash matches your new ashtray paint job.  Sem black looks great on basically everything in my opinion.  If it doesn't match you can always use the paint on about everything else.

fireguyfire

Anyone have an option of Eastwood's trim black?

6Pack70

Never tried the Eastwood version.

Chryco Psycho

jimynick

What do you mean by "option"? You mean a chance to buy it??  :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

fireguyfire

Sorry stupid auto correct; opinion!

dodj

Quote from: fireguyfire on March 14, 2019, 06:09:40 PM
Anyone have an option of Eastwood's trim black?

All the trim blacks are just a slight variation of regular satin (semi-gloss) black. Personally, I think the semi-gloss blacks that are called 'trim black', are not worth the $$. Especially SEM. Good product, but over priced.
(You asked for an opinion... :smile:)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Solarguy

Tonys parts has replacement ash tray boxes.  Scrol down here

http://www.tonysparts.com/newproductsE.htm