Main Menu

Convertible Hose Length and Questions

Started by Banana, March 19, 2019, 10:41:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Banana

1970 Challenger

Thought I could reuse my old hoses, but after 50 years they became brittle as glass.

Want to buy repros, but the pre-made sets seem to be universal and way to long for an e-body.

Hydro-E-lectic offered to build to length, so a few questions:

- Any vendor already sell pre-made correct e-body sets?
- What is length of tube from center of motor inlet to end of the piston fitting?
- Are the tube assemblies symmetric right to left, and front to back?

While I'm at it, should I risk using my original pistons (plastic end fitting), or just go with replacements? Best source for replacements? Do they now use metal instead of plastic ends?

Thanks for all the help.

cudaize

I put new hoses and cylinders from Hydro-electric on my 70 challenger convertible when I did it about 12 years ago.  I can't remember if the hoses were too long or not. I do know the fittings and crimps did not look quite like the originals.  For the cuda I am working on now I bought these hoses a couple years back but have yet to put them on, hopefully in another couple months.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/110403958013?ul_noapp=true  They are about the closest looking to the originals I have found yet.

I would recommend putting new cylinders on as well because they help the top fit by putting some good tension on.  The ones from Hydro-Electric 12 years ago were not a continuous can like the originals but worked well. About 3 years ago I noticed Hydro-electric was offering cylinders with a one piece can and I bought a set but have yet to install them.

Also if you plan on reusing your pump I would buy one of the seal kits and change the seals.  Also I believe some if not all of the fittings require o-rings which are in the kit as well.

Mike Afflerbach

anlauto

The two convertibles I restored last year I put new pumps/cylinders and hoses on them from Hydro-electric with NO issues whatsoever  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Banana

Rich G.

When I did mine last year I wasn't going to change the hoses but when I went to move the line it snapped in half. Put new lines on didn't change the cylinders and you guessed it, sitting for a week one was leaking. Luckily I didn't have the interior back in. Got everything from Hydro Electric. I did have a problem with the crimp on the lines leaking but I called them and they replaced them without any questions. I did notice the the next pair of lines had different fittings on then the first set.

js27

I used Hydro Electric hoses and cylinder on my 70 Challenger with no problems at all. Been on since 2001 and still work fine. My pump started leaking two years ago and  I called them and they sold me a rebuilt kit and directions on how to rebuild it. They were very helpful since I never did one before. Here are some shots of my original hoses and cylinders.
JS27

Burdar

Someone needs to do a step-by-step tutorial of restoring a convertible top frame.

Daveh

Cody is awesome at doing the tutorials he should do one.  Hey better yet Cody can come over to my house in Florida and I will film while he installs my convertible top.    :ohyeah: