Main Menu

Center console or no center console ? On a833

Started by Purepony, October 22, 2020, 11:04:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Joegrapes

I did just what you're doing. I converted my auto to a 4 speed. I tried it without the console but ended up putting the console back in. It's more convenient for storing things and leaning my arm on and I like the look better.   

Rich G.

Actually the 4 speed console is a little different. If you put the automatic console in the shifter will hit the top plate a little too. I have use it until I was able to find the correct console.

Mr Lee

I would take some accurate measurements of where the brackets go before removing them.  They can be saved and reinstalled.

The console is not the nicest looking thing i'll admit, but personally, if theres no console, i dont really like seeing the carpet seam either. And its really nice to have a place within easy reach for sunglasses, your wallet etc.  You can also set your phone right on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Purepony

Yeah I know the top plates different
I already found one it's 225 😐 assuming I mod mine to fit and use that top plate otherwise I see 4 speed consoles sell for 500-1000 lol I'll never pay that

Joegrapes

The top plates are different. I found a repro one much less expensive than an original. Also the 4 speed console has a cut out on the side to clear the shifter boot. I just cut that in my auto console.

Purepony

Leaning towards no console for now 🤔 wish me luck that I don't cut the brackets off then change my mind ha

RUNCHARGER

I prefer no console with a pistol grip. The console hides the shifter a bit, that and these consoles were made pretty cheap.
Sheldon

challengermaniac

I absolutely love everything about the console and wouldn't have an E Body without it!  It's classy.  If you are looking for the functional non classy look, then go without the console!
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

Purepony

Aaaaarghhhhh  :haha:

Going crazy over here
Now I'm co fuses again
😬

mopartaz

My cuda came with the console so i'll put it back to original. But I bought an automatic console i'll have to mod. Any one want to trade a mint auto top plate for a  4 -spd?

Purepony

Thanks all for the great comments
I decided to leave the console on
I know I might regret it later but we'll see the good thing is I can always remove it. I guess I just didn't wanna deal with cutting the. Rackets then regretting it.

I'll install it if I don't like it then I will remove it

jt4406

QuoteI'll install it if I don't like it then I will remove it
Don't forget, that will mean another carpet set!

Just saying.....
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

YellowThumper

Been no console for 30 years here.
And yes it will be that close to seat side...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

gzig5

I'll be replacing my 727 with an A833.  I thought I was going to keep the console and modify the one in the car as needed for the 4spd.  Now, after having looked at a lot of pictures, I prefer the no console look.  I have also replaced the entire floor pan so I would need to locate and mount the supports again to use the factory console.  Because my car will not be and OE restoration, I may fab a new console that would go with the aftermarket seats better. 

YellowThumper

What has been my workaround is this from a Dakota 4x4.
It nicely squeezes in between seats to stay in place for usage. I then just lift it out and store in trunk at shows.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.