Main Menu

Centre speaker

Started by blown motor, January 24, 2017, 06:04:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

A few years ago I replaced the dash pad in my Challenger. Now I'm going to put in a centre speaker which was previously absent. Does the speaker sit on top of the foam padding or do I need to trim the foam off and get down to the steel core? Also, can someone put up a pic of the correct screws to hold the speaker in place? Thanks gang.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

ec_co

just checked mine - steel frame/vinyl/speaker (no padding between)
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Cuda Cody

Should be Phillips screws to hold the cover down.  And you'll most likely need to trim some of the pad away under the speaker to get it to fit.  Just cut a little at a time and test fit until it's sitting flush.  Good luck!  You'll be rocking out to some tunes soon!

Spikedog08

Curious what are you installing for the speaker?   :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

blown motor

I've got the cover screws. I was wondering about the screws that hold the speaker itself. Since the pad is a remake the speaker screw holes are covered over and I'll have to find them. So I'm not sure what size they are.

blown motor

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 24, 2017, 09:11:41 AM
Curious what are you installing for the speaker?   :dunno:

The top one. I'm hoping that and two kick panel speakers will overpower the sound of my exhaust and I'll have tunes going down the highway.  :veryexcited:

http://www.casmfg.com/DVC_Speakers.htm

Spikedog08

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

headejm

Here's a shot of the factory center speaker without the grill. Looks like it is narrow with two screws. Not sure modern speakers are that narrow.  :notsure:

HP_Cuda

I'd say that it also depends on the speaker you put in there. The speaker I bought made it bow upwards a bit so I had to do some trimming.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

blown motor

Thanks for the pic headejm.  :worship: Is your speaker mounted below the oval cutout?
The speaker is supposed to be a drop if for 70-74 E bodies. It should be in this week. We'll find out when I get it. It will likely be next week before I get things installed. I'm putting in a new antenna also, then run new speaker wires, etc.  Stay tuned

Cuda Cody

How did you get that speaker under the dash frame?  Have I been doing wrong all this time?   :notsure:

Cuda Cody

Be careful with some of the taller speakers.  They can be a bit tight and you might need to cut or trim to make them work.   :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

The one you ordered looks like a good fit.  Lets me know what you think of it.  I would like to find a better center speaker that fit under the grille without having to cut or trim.

blown motor

Cody, what's the speaker in your first picture? It looks like it might be the same as what I have ordered.

headejm

Quote from: blown motor on January 24, 2017, 09:54:34 AM
Thanks for the pic headejm.  :worship: Is your speaker mounted below the oval cutout?
The speaker is supposed to be a drop if for 70-74 E bodies. It should be in this week. We'll find out when I get it. It will likely be next week before I get things installed. I'm putting in a new antenna also, then run new speaker wires, etc.  Stay tuned

The factory speaker drops in from the top.  :ohyeah: