Main Menu

Centre speaker - need a measurement

Started by blown motor, February 01, 2017, 08:11:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

The magnets in original speakers have weakened with age.  Reconing doesn't do much to fix that.

It's nice to have speakers that work, but if you really plan to listen to them, then you want them to work Well.
Most aftermarket speakers use a larger ceramic magnet.
Turnswitch.com makes speakers with super magnets like you find inside computers.  They have 4 times the field strength of original speakers, and twice the field strength of typical aftermarket ceramic magnets, all while being small enough to look like the original speakers and fit without having to perform dash surgery.
Greg Ward has highly recommended them on numerous occasions.
http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

Make sure you're running 8 ohm speakers with vintage radios & 4 ohm with newer radios (including conversion radios).

Cuda Cody

Where where you a few years ago when I needed all this info!!!  I was looking high and low for something like that!!!!!   :clapping:   I'm going to order one and see how it works.  Thank you sooooo much for sharing this info.   :twothumbsup:

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 01, 2017, 10:45:53 PM
The magnets in original speakers have weakened with age.  Reconing doesn't do much to fix that.

It's nice to have speakers that work, but if you really plan to listen to them, then you want them to work Well.
Turnswitch.com makes speakers with super magnets like you find inside computers.  They have 4 times the field strength of original speakers, and twice the field strength of typical aftermarket ceramic magnets, all while being small enough to look like the original speakers and fit without having to perform dash surgery.

Make sure you're running 8 ohm speakers with vintage radios & 4 ohm with newer radios (including conversion radios).

blown motor

Good info for sure. Thanks for posting. Cody, maybe you should move it to the reference section.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

HP_Cuda

I will have to keep turn switch in mind if I don't like my current setup.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Burdar

With just the original AM radio, I didn't need anything better then stock.  The radio probably won't ever be turned on anyway.  With my latest project, I bought an aftermarket speaker adapter and mounted two smaller speakers in the same location as the original.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on February 01, 2017, 10:06:59 AM
I just pulled this from an old post so I can't verify the # but this is who I sent mine to. 

Jackson Speaker Service
3921 Pine Crest Ct
Jackson, MI
(517) 789-6400

Got a hold of Ron McGee today from Jackson Speaker Service, thanks for the tip @Burdar ....
Right now he's in Ft.Meyers FLA for the winter but is still doing speakers down there.... 8) (on the beach)

He charges $50/speaker for the 4X10's.

I mailed him four (4) of them just now :drinkingbud:

:worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Well that's cool that you found a good place to get them done.  :ohyeah:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

jimynick

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 01, 2017, 10:45:53 PM

Thank you for that information!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Burdar on February 03, 2017, 07:04:49 AM
With just the original AM radio, I didn't need anything better then stock.  The radio probably won't ever be turned on anyway.  With my latest project, I bought an aftermarket speaker adapter and mounted two smaller speakers in the same location as the original.

@burdar do you have a link or details on what adapter and speakers you bought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

@Burdar   Just fixing the above "mention" tag.  :)   :slapme5: 

To use the mention just select the members name when it drops down.  If you finish typing it the tags don't work.  ;)

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 27, 2017, 09:12:57 PM
@Burdar   Just fixing the above "mention" tag.  :)   :slapme5: 

To use the mention just select the members name when it drops down.  If you finish typing it the tags don't work.  ;)

Didn't notice that option via Tapatalk. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs