Main Menu

Centre speaker - need a measurement

Started by blown motor, February 01, 2017, 08:11:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I'm put a Custom Autosound centre speaker in. There is a hole in the dash frame below the speaker opening. The speaker magnet is hitting on the side of this opening preventing proper fitment. The speaker is a 140W DVC and I'm suspicious that the magnet is larger than a stock speaker. Can someone please measure the max diameter of the stock speaker magnet so I can understand correctly why I'm having a problem?

I'll take some pics this afternoon and post them.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

Cuda Cody

This should be out of a 1971.  Hope it helps.

anlauto

@Cuda Cody  do have a line on any place that will re-cone the speaker you have pictured ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

We have a few local places that re-cone them.  Pretty affordable too.  There should be a local speaker shop in most big towns that will re-cone them I would think.  Our local place is http://jamacspeakers.com/

Quote from: anlauto on February 01, 2017, 09:27:17 AM
@Cuda Cody  do have a line on any place that will re-cone the speaker you have pictured ? :dunno:

Burdar

I used Jackson Speaker Service for mine.

anlauto

Have you ever had the 4X10 dash speakers done though ?
I called around a couple of places that can't do that size.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Burdar

Jackson did the front center speaker and the single rear speaker for me.  :dunno:

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on February 01, 2017, 10:00:06 AM
Jackson did the front center speaker and the single rear speaker for me.  :dunno:

@Burdar I googled it and came up with a place in MI, is that the place ? I couldn't find a web site  :brainiac:

Burdar

I just pulled this from an old post so I can't verify the # but this is who I sent mine to. 

Jackson Speaker Service
3921 Pine Crest Ct
Jackson, MI
(517) 789-6400

blown motor

Cody, thanks a bunch. That is vastly different from the new one I have. I'm sure that would drop right in.

Alan, I got my stuff at Natural Sound in Kitchener. I know they have a service shop in the back. I don't know what they are capable of but a phone call will tell you.

Roadman

We had the same problem with @ToxicWolf  car.  I ended up doing surgery to the metal that was in the way of the magnet.

blown motor

Thanks for chiming Mark. I feel better now knowing that I'm on the right track. I started surgery today but my Dremel ran out of battery. It's the only thing I have that's small enough to get up in there and work at it. I'll finish it up tomorrow, I hope.

HP_Cuda

I remember I had to do some dremel work on the dash speaker because some plastic was in the way and the cover wouldn't sit down correctly. PITA
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cataclysm80

The original speaker magnet was quite small.
I performed surgery on my dash frame (before installing it into the car) so that modern large magnet speakers will fit without problems.
I did surgery on the center and the outer dash speakers.

You have to be careful on the drivers side speaker due to the switch panel, but you can make it work.