Main Menu

Heater box drain tube repair

Started by Dakota, October 12, 2017, 03:43:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

There's not much I can contribute to this forum from a knowledge standpoint, but hopefully this may help someone that runs into a similar problem.

The drain tube off the heater box on my 70 Challenger with a/c broke at some point in the past.   I didn't realize this until I had finished cleaning up the box and had a foam gasket with nowhere to go.  I ended up using a Dremel to remove what was left of the old drain tube and widen the hole a bit.   It turns out a 3/4" CPVC pipe segment leftover from a bathroom project made for a good replacement.   With some JB Weld to hold it in place and a little sanding, it turned out OK.  I don't know if I got the length right, but since this is far from a numbers matching car I didn't worry about it.

anlauto

Great job ! You'll have to cut it shorter, the original just barely peeks out of the firewall and has a rubber hose hooked to it. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

I like your innovative approach to replacing the drain tube. The factory drain tube sticks out exactly 1" from the face of the box. Here is the rubber hose that Alan mentioned. I got this one from DMT.  :cheers:

Brads70

RUNCHARGER

I like fixes like that. It saves an original part, is functional and no one will ever know by looking at it.
Sheldon

Dakota

Quote from: headejm on October 12, 2017, 05:07:32 PM
I like your innovative approach to replacing the drain tube. The factory drain tube sticks out exactly 1" from the face of the box. Here is the rubber hose that Alan mentioned. I got this one from DMT.  :cheers:

Thanks for the info on the tube length and the hose source.   I just ordered one of the hoses from DMT.