Main Menu

dash pad repair

Started by antonellomopar, December 01, 2020, 02:48:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

antonellomopar

The dash pad in my 71 Challenger is one of the few things that are in fiar condition. Seller decided to load something sharp on the dash, and cut a slit into the upper part, just above the gauges. Aside from this, the pad is in good shape, no cracks or other blems.
Any idea about repairing the slit? Thanks for the help

jimynick

Here in Canada, there used to be a guy locally called Dr.Vinyl and he'd come to the shop and using raw vinyl he'd make a pattern of the stipple effect on the vinyl and then using a heat gun and blow pipe he'd blow and fuse the vinyl back together again and paint it. Times have changed, but again, here in Canada, there are guys who service the used car market and many do vinyl repairs. Check some local car lots and some body shops and see if they know such a man as I've described. Good luck.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

antonellomopar

I am trying with JB Weld. Tried tobfill the cracks...and used a Dremel sanding disc. Applied some more JB Weld...and now I am waiting to give another pass with the Dremel.
Anybody tried to do this? Here in Italy nobody repairs vinil. Was thinking about a small soldering irom...but am a afraid the heat can ruin the vinil. Any other ideas or experiences? Thank you

antonellomopar

Couple of pics

Bills Auto Works

Just Dashes does great work, but they are so damn expensive!

I got quoted $1650-$1750 each when I inquired about 3 of them I wanted to do (64 GP, 66 Ambassador & 67 Marlin) There is another smaller company that I got a card from at a national event, I am going to ask them for a quote for a couple of others in the near future.
   The 64 Grand Prix I bought a "cap" that goes over the old pad. I was very skeptical, but after installing it over the old one & spraying it to match it actually looks really good. It seems like if you want a rust-free car, it has to come from a desert area & they all have cracks.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

RUNCHARGER

My Hemicuda had a perfect pad other than two holes for a tachometer. I had a local vinyl guy (that repaired them on used cars) repair it and it came out good but not perfect. I believe you have to melt in the same type of material and then warm it and texture it and that is where it is tricky. I would check any auto dealers and see if they use somebody. It is worth a try.
Sheldon

edison1970

I did mine. Came out pretty good. I cleaned up the damaged area and lightly sanded. Filled with a finishing body filled. Sanded and resprayed the entire dash pad with SEM Landau black.

Rdchallenger

I went ahead and used this... It's driver quality IMO and worked good enough for me.

mopar jack

jimynick

The problem with your repair is that the repair material has no pebbling like the original material. The guy I mentioned would take a 2" blob of fresh bondo and pat it on a good part of the dash and before it got totally hard, he would peel it off and it had the pebble pattern of the original and he'd heat the liquid vinyl and press the bondo pattern onto it and it would take the pattern as it cooled, and it looked pretty damn good. I hear you about no vinyl guys in Italy, but I can't believe it. Surely to God, with all the vinyl dashs and sunlight in Italy, somebody must do it!?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"