Main Menu

Door panel install problem

Started by GoMangoBoys, July 20, 2022, 01:12:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I am having trouble installing the door panel on the driver's door.  I have the clips installed and am trying to hang the panel over the top edge of the door.  I cannot get the clips to clip onto the top of the door.  It will not push down.  I don't want to push too hard and break something.  Can someone tell me what I need to do here?
Thanks

headejm

My original driver side panel fits good and only has one hanging clip in the middle of the panel. Doesn't really snap on to the door, just sort of hangs by the clip and all the screws and other clips hold it on. Not sure how many clips are supposed to be on a panel but you might try removing all but the middle one and see it that helps. Or see if one particular hanging clip is the problem.  :notsure:

Rich G.

Can't tell that good from the picture but make sure you don't have the clip on backwards.

headejm

@GoMangoBoys I have a lot of photos of my doors during restoration. Just checking to make sure your door tops look similar.  :cheers:

71vert340

@GoMangoBoys. The part of your clip that hangs over lip on the door looks expanded out more than the original one on this door panel. Put just one in the middle and you may have to collapse it slightly to look like mine to fit over door edge. If it then works after being squeezed closed some, Install another clip on panel. Two is the most I've seen but 3 should also work if correct .
Terry W.

moparroy

Last January I stopped in at Herb's on my way to Florida to pic up a couple of things including some of these clips. I have two sets of door panels each with one clip or none - although there appear to be 3 places for them - so I thought I was looking for a few more noting they are sold in sets of 6 various places. We looked in his used stock and found one panel with a single clip on it. We then went into his bone yard to see what might be on some old relics. Every panel we found only had at most the one middle clip on it. We looked at the doors and it was not clear how the other two would seat so we came to the conclusion there was only one clip per panel originally.

GoMangoBoys

I was able to gt the door panel installed.  I used one clip in the center as suggested.  I also used pliers to compress the clip a bit.  Lastly, I used a small dental tool as a hook to pull out on it as I tried to get it over the top of the door.  Sadly, I had to remove it because I forgot the screw clips on the door at the armrest.  Once I got it installed a second time, I had to take it back off again because of another problem which will be the subject of another thread.
Thanks to those who helped me by responding.