Main Menu

Headliner -70 Barracuda Gran Coupe

Started by soundcontrol, June 04, 2020, 12:56:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

My headliner is hanging down everywhere, very loose.
And I don't feel the normal bows under the headliner either, seems to be a board there...(thats oilcanning now...)
Something to hold the console maybe?

Anyone know how this is constructed, any under headliner pictures?

headejm

@soundcontrol The Challenger SE and Barracuda Gran Coupe do not have traditional headliners. Instead of material with bows supporting it, the SE/GC have a fiber board covered in a velour-type material. You will have to remove the headliner, rear window interior trim, sail panels, and consolette in order to re-upholster the pieces. The problem with these is the foam backing on the velour material degrades over time and then you get the material falling off the board and sagging.  Not terribly complicated but a bit of a PITA. I just did my SE headliner and here are a few pictures.

If your board is sagging, that will have to be addressed.  I used fiberglass to reform and support my board. There are several threads on our site discussing this fun topic. Good luck!  :handshake:

soundcontrol

Aha, I see. yeah, all, the cloth is hanging and the board is sagging, fiberglass seems like a good fix!
Are new boards being made for restoration?

Gonna take it apart later and see how bad it is.

Thanks a lot, and great pictures!!  :thankyou:

headejm

I believe you are better off trying to repair the board that you have. It's not 100% clear if anyone is reproducing the boards and shipping would be very expensive. If you need any additional help, just give a shout.  :cheers:

RUNCHARGER

Dayclona used to repro them in fibreglass I'm not sure if he still does or not.
Sheldon

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

I will chime in here. Pulled my headliner down.   View the results.  I installed back in about 2006.  All the material came loose, left the foam mess.  I have new material with foam, but seriously considering another material that won't separate.  Maybe some shag carpet!   

RUNCHARGER

Yes: The foam is what disintegrates alright.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

A perforated board, foam and velour fabric is a very good sound deadener!
Thats how bass traps and sound panels are made in recording studios (with insulation on the other side though).
From a sound engineers point of view.  8)

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 04, 2020, 06:51:52 PM
Dayclona used to repro them in fibreglass I'm not sure if he still does or not.

Could not find any new information on this  :notsure:
But for what it's worth a link to another thread on the subject: https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/those-with-fiberglass-segran-coupe-headliners-got-a-q-for-you/2589/

shawge

I'm the OP in the other thread.  The board is well made and required slight trimming as expected.  I'd be happy to answer any questions about it.

This was in 2018 on Moparts. He's referring to the console and headliner boards. If he's still doing this,  I'd recommend also getting the console If you are going to get the board. 

These are just the bare bases, NO cloth material NOR trim is available or installed, headliner boards are now $325, and consoles are $125 will ship US/Canada/International

Contact me here on Moparts PM, or dayclona@gmail.com for more info/shipping quotes/etc
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

RacerX

Quote from: shawge on June 05, 2020, 09:09:09 PM
I'm the OP in the other thread.  The board is well made and required slight trimming as expected.  I'd be happy to answer any questions about it.

This was in 2018 on Moparts. He's referring to the console and headliner boards. If he's still doing this,  I'd recommend also getting the console If you are going to get the board. 

These are just the bare bases, NO cloth material NOR trim is available or installed, headliner boards are now $325, and consoles are $125 will ship US/Canada/International

Contact me here on Moparts PM, or dayclona@gmail.com for more info/shipping quotes/etc

I will eventually need these items for my '70 Challenger as the ones in there now are not in
the greatest of condition.   

should we jump on this now while available?

Don't need them *now* as the restoration of the car is a ways down the road but don't
want to end up with no source for such an important item when the time does come.
Interior is a focal point of the car and you look at it all the time every time you drive the car...

RUNCHARGER

I've learned to get stuff when it's available.
Sheldon

shawge

Agree w/ Sheldon, accumulate the needed parts when you can. Mike is currently the only one that makes these.  Fairly certain the other person who made these (SE Headliners) has stopped production.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: headejm on June 04, 2020, 06:44:00 PM
I believe you are better off trying to repair the board that you have. It's not 100% clear if anyone is reproducing the boards and shipping would be very expensive. If you need any additional help, just give a shout.  :cheers:

:iagree: That unfortunately seems to be the biggest problem with buying one.  :(