Main Menu

Heater Box Install Question

Started by Gary AAR, March 12, 2021, 07:44:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Just finished restoring my 1970 Cuda heater box, and started to review how it is mounted in the car.  There are the (3) studs that mount it to the firewall, and a "hook" that attaches to the RH side of the heater box in the vent area.  What does the hook attach to?  I reinstalled the hook to the heater box per pictures I took during disassembly (see attached photo).  During disassembly I didn't pay attention as to how the hook supports the heater box.  Do I have the hook assembled properly?  Am I missing a part that the hook attaches to?
Thanks for the help.

Shane Kelley

Loosen the bolt that holds the hook all the way out. The hook is going up in the opening in the cowl and grab the edge of the opening. Leave the 3 bolts loose and get the hook to grab first. Then tighten everything up. The hook can be a little pesky. Reach your hand up through to get it in place if needed.

anlauto

You need to bend the base of your hook 90*, it should point upwards to grab the lip of the cowl opening... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: anlauto on March 12, 2021, 07:58:40 AM
You need to bend the base of your hook 90*, it should point upwards to grab the lip of the cowl opening... :alan2cents:

What Alan said.  Not the clearest photo, but this may give you a better idea.

DeathProofCuda

Maybe easier to see in this photo.

1970Cuda

I'm just getting ready to clean up and restore my heater box. Here's the dusty picture of the original box, just like it was removed from the vehicle. Looks like your J-hook is bent. See how straight mine sits "up"?

Looks like you spent a lot of time on yours; looks great.

Gary AAR

Thanks to all for the pictures and advice.  I bent the hook per your instructions, and the heater box is now installed.  Check that one off the list!
Gary.