Main Menu

How to unlock a cuda

Started by cuda hunter, July 03, 2019, 10:27:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

So I'm picking up a car that has been locked for 20 years or more. 
How do I go about getting the car unlocked?
And how do I get the steering to work so I can pull it up on a trailer.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

aussiemark

No keys? if not I would get a locksmith or roadside assistance guy to get the door unlocked. On the original Gone in 60 seconds movie you see Pace open the Challenger door with a strip of steel he pushes it down between the seal and the glass maybe watch that scene and make a similar tool you could practice on another E body if you have one handy maybe remove the trim and see what you need to push down on. Once the door is open you could remove the crush can and take out the ignition lock and use a screw driver to unlock the steering column. You can get the trunk lock by removing the back seat, I would try and save the locks because the repop ones are junk and if it is a 70 model the satin ignition locks are hard to find.

JS29

@cuda hunter  an old school slim-jim will unlock the door. I agree about the steering column.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

If the lock buttons are still on the inside you use a piece of haywire with a loop in the end to pull up on the lock button. Then take the steering wheel and crush can off to pull the steering wheel lock mechanism out. If it's a 70 you can pull the park lock  rod off at the bottom of the column underneath the hood.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

It's supposed to be a 74.    So probably no lock mechanism like the 70.

However there are 70 parts on the car.  Anyone have a picture of the mechanism on the 70 steering column?

I will be prepared with coat hangers. 

where do I buy a slim jim? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JS29

@cuda hunter  hear in NY you have to be in the auto business to buy one, or it could be considered a burglary tool. you could make one, are you friends with any one in a garage or towing biz. barrow one to fab up one, and when your done toss or bury it some were in the car you are getting and claim it was there.  :thinking:

Bought this slim Jim in a Texas auto parts store.
Photos attached of the two end designs.

aussiemark

I just hope the interior lock levers aren't seized 20 years is a long time without movement.

RUNCHARGER

You can just hook the inner door handle itself and pull it back to open as well.
Sheldon

ec_co

when I picked up the Barracuda dad had lost the keys long ago. brought out an old school locksmith and for $120 I had a set of door keys. it was pretty cool watching a master at work. he would hand wiggle a tool in the lock mechanism and hand cut the key, took him a few tries and about 20 min. saved me from having to re-key the column too
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

cuda hunter

That's a good idea.  I'll try to set up a professional.

Thanks for all the replies.  I'll definitely be using the knowledge if I can't find a pro. 

So the lock mechanism will unlock just by pulling the door handle open? 

Bullitt-

Quote from: cuda hunter on July 04, 2019, 10:14:07 PM
So the lock mechanism will unlock just by pulling the door handle open? 

That may be year dependent... I think my '73 did unlock with the inside door handle but I replaced one door with an earlier model, probably a '70, and it works differently..  think you have to unlock the door first on that one....
If using the coathanger through the glass method I'd concentrate on lifting the lock gizmo... Had to do that once myself & wasn't all that hard... just wedge something between the front door & rear glass to give ya some wiggle room. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

ViperMan

Fun story...  I once locked myself out of the house in high school.  Dad's '72 Cuda in the driveway had a garage door opener in it.  I went into the back yard and found a long, sturdy weed, fashioned a loop into the end of it, and manage to slide it into the back of the door glass and pull up on the lock lever in the door.  Southern weeds are tough, man...  :)

cuda hunter

Well its a parts car. But i found most of the build sheet.
And a b.s. build sheet. Not sure of vin ye 76t.

Brads70

:popcorn:  curious as to what year it really is? Sure looks like a 70?