Main Menu

Seats -- upgrade or redo?

Started by shadango, July 18, 2019, 12:11:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

shadango

I have been himhawwing for a few years about the seats in my Baracuda...

They were recovered by someone in the 80s with a crushed velour material in blue....when I got the car they were stained and moldy so we steamcleaned and dyed them black/dark grey.

Honestly they look pretty ok......and are more comfortable than vinyl in the summer...LOL

That said, I know my foam is worn out some.

SO I started thinking about replacing with aftermarket seats...and specifically seats with LUMBAR SUPPORT (I have a bad back).  I found some cool ones at a vendor at Carlisle three shows ago and was this close to buying but then didnt....they were leather-like vinyl with lumbar and reasonable side bolsters....they had the seat bases needed as well.  As  I recall it would have been like $1500 to do both seats.....ouch...and then they would not match the rear.....so I decided to think about it.

But then at Carlisle this year I ended up picking up a new set of repop black seat backs to replace the ones I have (they were blue too, and we dyed those black....easily scratched etc).

I bought the new seat backs in a moment of heat-exhausted frailty...LOL

I actually like the seats as is except for lack of lumbar support......the drive to Carlisle is a good test of a longer run and aside from the lack of lumbar they are ok.

Any way to modify the stock ones with new foam and keep what I have?

My drivers seat back may be a little tweaked to "the gangsta lean", but not real bad....

Can I add some foam in the lumbar region while replacing all the foam?  I use a rolled up towel while driving now.....

blown motor

I had more foam added to mine by a guy that does furniture upholstery. It worked great. I expect a good upholsterer could give you the lumbar effect that you want.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

1 Wild R/T

It's also easy to add one of the lumbar bags with a squeeze ball to pump the support to your desired amount.... Also heat can be added easily which can help your lower back too...

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Imports-Seat-Lumbar-Bladder-Universal-Inflatable/dp/B00F5272FE

RUNCHARGER

It's a real personal decision I think. For me, I love the stock gauges, shifter and seats in these cars and I wouldn't be happy with non-original anything in the interior as that's a big part of their appeal. I realize other opinions are different though and I can understand the comfort argument. For me the loss in comfort is well worth it.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

I've been on the fence here for seats as well.

In one hand mine are due for a refresh.  On the other, the car handles way too well for the stock seats to be sufficient.

I don't want to change the look, but I'd like to stay in the seat! I haven't found the perfect seat that makes me want to pull the trigger, so I'll keep flopping around the car while cornering until I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Fern

I seen an episode of Kindig, which they modified an original seat with lumbar and side support. It was camaro seat, if I remember correctly . In the end it looked somewhat stock and provided support. Sure it won't be cheap,  but a local guy should be able to do something that looks better than an aftermarket seat for originally.

shadango

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 18, 2019, 01:55:10 PM
It's also easy to add one of the lumbar bags with a squeeze ball to pump the support to your desired amount.... Also heat can be added easily which can help your lower back too...

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Imports-Seat-Lumbar-Bladder-Universal-Inflatable/dp/B00F5272FE

Hey thats COOL!!!!!! 

Adjustable!     Kinda stinks it only lasts for 24 hours, but as long as it holds relatively solid for a couple hours at a time, should work...cost is great!

WOnder if I could get my upholstery off far enough to stick this in there?

WOuld have to glue it in or something I would think.....

shadango

shadango

Using google, found this too...electric version -- more money but one review says it holds for a couple weeks.....though in the specs it says "fits foam support seats -yes;  fits spring support seats - no"

Our seats use foam over springs right??

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpc-250-1454

70Barracuda

We are in the same boat... seat!
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

BIGSHCLUNK

My seats have been killing me for years..... really takes some of the fun out of driving NIKKI.  I must add @blown motor 's seats are waaaay more comfortable than mine are.  :yes:  :bradsthumb:

Brads70