Main Menu

Interior Plastic Restoration Journey

Started by kawahonda, October 21, 2020, 05:57:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

larry4406

What is the "texturing system" you are using?  How did you make that black textured example?

Jay Bee

Quote from: larry4406 on October 25, 2020, 03:35:52 AM
What is the "texturing system" you are using?  How did you make that black textured example?

I'd like to know this too.

mopar jack

not sure what he is using but there are texture paints available. I bought this one but haven't tried it yet. This one should give an organisol type texture.

kawahonda

Seat backs went a lot faster!
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Mrbill426

I musta missed the texturing process (on the black samples)  too  :huh:

Quote from: larry4406 on October 25, 2020, 03:35:52 AM

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

He hasn't shared what the secret sauce is yet.... :popcorn:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kawahonda

I didn't want to share the process until I actually do it for reals. :)

I will post all materials next week.

I will continue to post the process when I get to it. :)

Yes, texturing is done by a spray and knocking it down.

kawahonda

Sprayed my chip with herbs. Too bad I ordered 6 cans of this shit, because I want to send 5 back.

Terrible match. Not even close. I sprayed the chip 5 times. Will see how good their return policy is. I will offer to keep the can I used for a sample spray out but hopefully the rest is good to return. See first pic.

Went to local shop and they are currently building me a sample. They got it close by eye in the shop. Need to spray out on another sample this weekend and then bring it back for fine tuning. The first revision should look damn close. See pic 2.

Third pic is what my next chip looks like before knocking dow and right after texturing. This chip will have finer texture vs the first chip, getting super close to original after it cures and after a fine knockdown.

anlauto

I think you would get different results with Herb's if you sprayed it directly on the original panel :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

kawahonda

So far only 1 of 3 panels require filler of any sort. I'm not even entirely sure these spots needed it. But the goal like I said is 8/10. I do not play guessing games.

Clean. Tape around damage/knicks

Spray adhesion promotor. Wait 5-10 mins.

Fill. Press in hard. Remove tape.

Will post materials used later.

kawahonda

Quote from: anlauto on October 27, 2020, 05:43:04 PM
I think you would get different results with Herb's if you sprayed it directly on the original panel :alan2cents:

I'm mostly a betting man, and I'm willing to take you up on that bet. I talked about that the n the car with the fiancé today. I am 95% sure regardless it is off.

kawahonda

I'll post newer results if it changes, but the outcome of my experiment is neither of us are right.

Spraying on an original "solid" surface does not make it as dark as my prep chip. Good news, right?

However, it is still darker than stock. No only that, but one important note is that the sheen is removed. Herbs is more closer to a flat profile.

Left strip of pic is taped off original non-disturbed/non-faded piece.
Right side is herbs sprayed right on undisturbed piece.

You can see my chip above that looks way more off than either...

So neither are wrong. We're down into dying matching territory. I have the ability to choose white texture spray over black. I'm still not convinced.

Trial and error here folks.

Honestly, I don't understand who the market herbs paint is for. You can only buy quality white or black panels. You absolutely cannot expect this stuff to transform it back to the way it was. Either way herbs is going to be wrong for quality restoration. No person has a 70s ebody that has faded, but NOT chalked panels.

Hey, many people dont mind spraying over damage. Burnt orange herbs paint may work pretty good for that but it will never look perfect.

I'm aiming for something much better.

I'm on a journey...tag along.

anlauto

I'll agree to disagree, and I certainly won't hijack your thread....but I've had absolutely fantastic results with every colour of Herb's paints I've used....but maybe I'm not as fussy as you :drinkingbud:

kawahonda

I went through and posted results which is more than most will do. Herbs is wrong for me when trying to match original pieces after retexturing. Its not correct even on original pieces, but does appear closer. It's too dark and has no sheen in either situation. I suspect it will be the same spraying over new black or white pieces, which your photo doesn't necessarily show.