Interior Plastic Restoration Journey

Started by kawahonda, October 21, 2020, 05:57:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Adhesion promotor.

PPG reduced DP epoxy, one medium coat.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

larry4406

Progress is looking really good.  Can't wait to see the finished product!

I am interested (as are others) as to how the texturing comes out.  I think uniform texture will be more than acceptable for all but the purest.

My 71 vert has white panels which are badly chalked.  Years ago I scrubbed them with a steel wool pad and soap and water and they are smooth with near zero texture.

kawahonda

Today will be texture day!

I'll post my two texture samples below.

I personally prefer sample #2. It has finer texture with only a very light knockdown.

Sample #1 has larger texture, but it also has a more aggressive knockdown.

A more aggressive knockdown will create more of a sense of "flatness" like OEM, but at a loss because you are making the texture/droplets larger by sanding them down more.

With texture spray, you can only have one. You want it fine and semi-flat, or do you want it larger and flat.

Others thoughts?

I'd honestly consider both very acceptable if it all looks uniform. But I still learn on something like #2.

It all looks the same (even oem) from 12" or more away.

blucuda

I personally like #2.  Just my two cents.....

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

kawahonda

Thank guys, #2 it is.

In-fact, there is no possible way I will get #1. I may have actually sprayed FINER than #2, which I suppose is a good thing since the Mopar OE panels have fine texture. This is really good news.

Proceedure:

1) Hold can easily 16"+ away
2) You are spraying droplets, not paint.
3) Do not worry about "coverage". This was hard for me to get over, because it's very unlike painting. If you want to cover up the substrate, that simply means more coats. Coats is your cover, not the volume!
4) NEVER spray on the panel without blasting the can away first a half second. Remember this every time you pick up the spray.
5) When you get near the bottom of the spray, the texture gets splattery. If you're good, you can use this can when starting the first coat on a new panel. The very first coat is mainly for coverage, so if it's a little splattery that's OK.

I would recommend using a gun that attaches to the spray can. I had to go left handed halfway through because my finger turned to jello. What you see took 4.5 cans. 3-4 coats.

The first picture is start

Second picture is after 3 coats.

kawahonda

One other thing you can do when the can gets low is to place a panel horizontally, and just spray at it. The droplets will fall creating a nice base texture. This is a way to help use all of your material because at $17 a can, you want to use as much as possible.

kawahonda

The beautiful thing about this, is that if you mess up, you can simply sand more during the knockdown phase, and re splatter it.

I have a little more than half a can left for "touch ups".

Make sure to mask the lower side sections of the seat back because they are not supposed to be textured.

kawahonda

Some other miscellaneous shots.

kawahonda

Starting to knockdown.

The texture looks really good. Probably better than my latest chip!

kawahonda

Finished the drop sanding.

Tomorrow I'll check it over closely and perhaps start spraying. I don't like the idea of spraying this all at once. My do half tomorrow.

anlauto

What are your plans for the kick panels and "A'' pillar trim ?  Wouldn't you want them to match ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kawahonda

Those are in great shape. Unfaded.

Paint matches rear of panels...took 3 trips.

Painted panels should match remaining panels is expectation.

Btw, nothing perfectly matched on colored ebody interior.

kawahonda

Here's an example of non perfect factory match.