Main Menu

Lower Steering Column for dash guage removal 1973 Barracuda

Started by JunkYardFind, February 02, 2021, 09:05:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JunkYardFind

I need to remove my instrument panel and it's REALLY difficult squeezing the plastic bezel out with the steering column in place. I have no experience with columns and would like any tips and pics on how to simply lower it a bit to remove the gauge cluster bezel. Thanks

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

73_Cuda_4_Me

@JunkYardFind.com - There are two long studs on the underside of the dash that hold the column tight against the dash. All you have to do to lower the column a bit is to loosen the nuts to drop the column down 1 or 2 inches as needed. There is enough clearance in the firewall mount to allow the column to drop several inches, and if that isn't enough, you can take the screws out of the firewall mount to drop it even further.
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JunkYardFind

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on February 03, 2021, 04:38:40 AM
@JunkYardFind.com - There are two long studs on the underside of the dash that hold the column tight against the dash. All you have to do to lower the column a bit is to loosen the nuts to drop the column down 1 or 2 inches as needed. There is enough clearance in the firewall mount to allow the column to drop several inches, and if that isn't enough, you can take the screws out of the firewall mount to drop it even further.

@73_Cuda_4_Me
GREAT! Thanks for the info. I have squeezed out the bezel a couple of times and have been VERY lucky not to have cracked it! I knew my luck was running out so I wanted to do it right and lower the column.

JunkYardFind

Quote from: JunkYardFind.com on February 03, 2021, 10:36:07 AM
Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on February 03, 2021, 04:38:40 AM

This WAS really easy! Thanks again for the info. I can now remove the instrument panel without a problem. Not sure how I missed those bolts, I only glanced I guess an only saw the main bolts on the firewall. Anyway, now to get the clock and Alt meter to work.