Main Menu

Steering column lower bearing fix

Started by usraptor, February 24, 2019, 06:06:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Okay, I think I must be the only one with this issue as I read the entire 7 page thread on CC.com about using a ER16, SER205-16, bearing to replaced the OEM lower steering column bearing and nobody else raised this issue.  When I originally read that thread a few years back I immediately ordered one of the bearings.  When I went to install it the outside bearing diameter was too large in fit inside my steering column tube/jacket.  So I mickey moused a sleeve and put it back together. Since I've got my drivetrain out now I thought I'd give it another try to get a bearing that would fit my column tube/jacket but I'm not having any luck finding one on the web.  My car is a '70 Cuda, original floor shift 4-speed car with the original steering column.  I used my digital calipers to measure the steering column tube/jacket inside diameter where it sticks through the firewall into the engine compartment and it is 37.3mm or 1.47".  The steering shaft itself has the typical 1" diameter.  The ER 16, SER205-16 bearing has an outside diameter of 52MM, considerably larger than my 37.3mm.  In the original post he stated his car/column was a '74 but numerous other people will varying years said they did the modification without issue.  So what am I missing or doing wrong?  Is the '74 column tube/jacket that much larger than a '70?   If nothing and my column tube/jacket is in fact that much smaller, anybody know what bearing will work?  I really don't want to spend the $90 for an OEM plastic bearing.   :help: :soshelp: :notsure:

GoodysGotaCuda

I bought an"SER205-15" aka "ER205-16" bearing off of eBay for $6.50.

I recall having to emery cloth the steering column [1972] in order to get it to slip over the factory shaft. Otherwise that was it.  :idea:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

usraptor

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on February 24, 2019, 06:12:58 PM
I bought an"SER205-15" aka "ER205-16" bearing off of eBay for $6.50.

I recall having to emery cloth the steering column [1972] in order to get it to slip over the factory shaft. Otherwise that was it.  :idea:

I don't suppose you measured the inside diameter of your steering column did you?  I'm just wondering is the '70 is that much smaller than the other years?

Topcat

The steering shaft diameter is thicker nearest the steering wheel.

It can only go on at the lower end where the T is.

I sand papered it, then emory cloth. Then WD 40 and it slid right on.

usraptor

Topcat, I wasn't clear in my original post. The steering shaft diameter is not the issue.  My Steering column tube/jacket is only 37MM in diameter and the bearing is 52MM in diameter so the bearing will not fit inside the steering column tube/jacket.  I'll try and post pictures later.

Chryco Psycho

the problem seems clear , either the wrong part# for the Brg or the part# is correct but the brg was mispackaged , either way you need a different brg

dodj

I just went out and measured two columns. Both measure just shy of 52mm inside diameter. One is a '73, the other is unknown year.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

usraptor

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 25, 2019, 07:11:53 AM
the problem seems clear , either the wrong part# for the Brg or the part# is correct but the brg was mispackaged , either way you need a different brg

Thanks dodj.  No Chryco the problem is that the poster is stupid and in my defense, at least a little, people in the original post were using the wrong or confusing terminology (for my pea brain) when referring to the column "lock out tube" calling it a "shift" tube.  I just re-read the entire post again on CC.com about using the BRG bearing and the poster even says on "column shift car" you have to remove the "shift" tube.  Nothing is said about removing the "lock out tube" on floor shift cars. The only person who correctly referred to a "Lock out tube" was HP Cuda and I missed that on my first read.  My car is a floor shift so when the poster says remove the "shift" tube I'm assuming he means a tube that selects the gears on a column shift automatic car.  Anyway, I went out to take some pictures of what I was talking about and in doing so I finally realized that I had been measuring the inside diameter of the column "lock out tube"  instead of the column tube/jacket itself.  See pictures.  So I'm assuming that since my car is not equipped with the column "lock out" linkage the "lock out tube" serves no purpose, like rigidity to the column, etc and is not necessary?  Please correct me if I'm wrong because lord knows I've been wrong about this whole modification so far.  Man I hate being stupid but this car seems to bring out the worst in me.

Chryco Psycho

The lock out tube is used in 70 with mechanical linkage to the trans to make sure the car is in Park [auto] or Reverse [manual] before the column can lock , if your linkage is gone you can remove the lockout tube as it is doing nothing anyway , the only issue is sometimes the housing will rotate & prevent the key removal so you will have to rotate the lower housing to remove the key

usraptor