Main Menu

Lower steering column

Started by nsmall, July 22, 2017, 09:59:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I love the video that you posted Cody so thank you.

As for the two items that I'm pointing at I don't know if I'm supposed to use these in the rebuild kit but I can't seem to get that pin out of my lower steering column if that makes sense?  Maybe a 73 different than the video or I missed something.

@Burdar you are the 72-74 wizard

Thanks

Burdar

The upper piece is the roll pin. That's what holds the coupler onto the steering box shaft. You would have pounded out the old one in order to remove the column.

The lower shaft doesn't nessesarily need to be replaced if the original one looks ok. It's hardened so it might be fine. If you put the shaft on a vise and smack the pin with a BFH, it will come out. You can also use a press.

I'd test fit everything dry first, before putting grease in the coupler. Make sure that spring clip will fit inside the coupler. The last two I rebuilt, the spring clip was too tall and you couldn't get the coupler assembled.

Cuda Cody

Best to use a press to get that pin on the lower shaft out.  But like Burdar said, if it's in good shape you can get away with using the original one.  Just put the new shoes on it and see if there is any wiggle.  If it fits tight, then you're probably fine.   :alan2cents:

nsmall

Thanks.  It seems to fit really well so I'll just put the new shoes on and follow the directions I saw on your videos and what you guys just said...thank you so much

nsmall

@Burdar

Sorry I have one last question for you. Does it look like I'm missing something in this area that I'm pointing at?  Maybe like a plastic bezel or something?

Thanks

Burdar

The consensus is that originally, there was a foam seal inside that lower plastic piece. It rotted away over the years leaving that gap. I took a scrap piece of foam from my DMT gasket kit and made a new seal. If you leave that gap, you'll get hot air traveling up the steering column.

I did the bearing mod on my Dart. Since you aren't concerning yourself with originality, there's no reason not to do it. You might have to sand your steering shaft a little so it fits through the bearing. Not a big deal. Don't paint the shaft first or it definately won't slide through.

nsmall

Thanks folks.  You guys are so good at this rebuild business.  I'm tackling a lot of projects on my own and my confidence level is way up right now.

Neil

Cuda Cody

Feels good to do stuff yourself, right?   :yes:  And you know it's done right.   :bigthumb:

nsmall

Yes there is a sense of Pride and I am a little on the uptight side so I can only be mad at myself if there is a mistake.

The round rubber seal I'm pointing to... I'm assuming goes in the middle of these two metal brackets? I got in a hurry and forgot to keep track of what I was doing.

Do I need to have these on my column as it looks like they will fit over the bottom of my steering column if I leave them off?  Not sure if that made sense but it's easier to store the column without these brackets on there.

nsmall

Sorry. But again I forgot to take pictures and I got in a hurry.

Does this look like I have this setup right because it fits just perfect so I'm assuming I'm good to go.  It looks like the spring can go on either side so I just wanted to make sure.

Lastly this black seal looks like I'm not going to be able to get it on unless I take that pin out.  Correct?  It seemed like Cody was able to get his on with the pin on by Lubing it up and stretching in a little on his video.

Am I putting it on on the right direction or should I flip it?

Thanks

Burdar

You have it correct. Look at the inside of the coupler. The corners aren't square...they are rounded. There is a bevel on the shoes to clear the rounded corners in the coupler.

Yes, you can lube the coupler seal and install it over the lower pin.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  It will fit over the pin on the shaft.  The shoes look good and the rubber seal goes between the two brackets like you have it.  They make new rubber seals that you can get for under $5.

[ebay]360638116312[/ebay]

nsmall

@Cuda Cody

Cody, in your part 4 final assembly video you only put the steering coupler halfway up the steering column when doing the final assembly.  I ended up going all the way till it stopped but thankfully I haven't actually clamped on the bracket so should I pull out way back down?

Thanks