Main Menu

Need suggestions - heater box repair

Started by ViperMan, September 18, 2020, 02:48:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ViperMan

Hey everyone!  I posted a few months about a blower wheel replacement. Well it took MrHeaterbox 3 months to finally get me the wheel I ordered. I got it installed, got the heater core in, and got the box mostly back together. Unfortunately it appears that the smaller side of the box has warped - the clip over the area shown below wasnt on when I took the box out. I got the clip on it but seconds later it popped off with a chunk of the box included.  I'm looking for suggestions to repair it.  Mainly, ideas for some sort of edge clamp that can replace the metal clips and maybe give me some play to work with.  I'm not going for a concourse restoration - just want to close it up securely without causing more damage.

Scooter

No way to get the missing material back.

I'd probably fab up two "L" shaped brackets that follow the shape of the corner closely.

Sammich the lip on the heater box between the brackets and drill 3 holes through the brackets and the heater box lip (center and toward each end).

Secure it with screws and nuts or if the brackets are thick enough drill and tap the holes on one. 

GL!

jimynick

Since changing heater cores seems to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, thank god, why not use some bonding compound? Clean/rough up the damaged area and apply the bonding agent in a large enough amount, so that after it cures you can take a whizzy wheel and contour it to your heart's delight. It's both strong and black, so it won't stick out when the concours judges stick their pumpkins under your dash, as you mentioned. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

ViperMan

Quote from: jimynick on September 21, 2020, 06:39:38 PM
Since changing heater cores seems to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, thank god, why not use some bonding compound? Clean/rough up the damaged area and apply the bonding agent in a large enough amount, so that after it cures you can take a whizzy wheel and contour it to your heart's delight. It's both strong and black, so it won't stick out when the concours judges stick their pumpkins under your dash, as you mentioned. Just my  :alan2cents:

I thought about that, but while it might be once in MY lifetime, I do tend to think about my grandchild when he has to replace the heater core grandpa installed years and years ago...  :)

Rich G.

I wouldn't worry about one clip missing. Put a bead of black silicone in the gap if want.

Bullitt-

:thinking:  Guys would the superglue/baking soda process not work to repair the box?

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]