Main Menu

New PG Wheel and Nupar horn in red suede!

Started by Wayne, February 27, 2022, 04:36:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Wayne

I wanted a smaller steering wheel with a more modern feel.  Thought I would try the PG Classics wheel as it looks real nice and is leather wrapped....plus it comes in red  :banana:  I did run into a issue with holes for the screws being to small.

I also reached out to Mike / MickM on the forum here as I really like the horn button he makes.  I wanted to go with the model with the fish and paint the button red.  That came the challenge of trying to find the correct paint to match the dash/column.  I talked to Instrument Specialties and they mixed me up a pint and put some in a spray can for me after checking with their supplier.  They had never done that before.  Was real pleased with the product.  It took quite a few coats. 

Made a video of the process and wanted to go over the whole project.  Alot of people think you need an adapter to run a tuff wheel which you don't.  I also go over in detail Mikes horn button and show the instructions and how I paint and install it. 

Here are a few picture and a link to video if interested

Mike was great to deal with and so was Instrument Specialties :bigthumb:

1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

Wayne

Curious if anyone else installed a wheel from PG Classics and noticed the horn switch threads to be too small?   Trying to figure out if my case was an exception or is it common?

anlauto

Quote from: Wayne on March 03, 2022, 04:14:04 AM
Curious if anyone else installed a wheel from PG Classics and noticed the horn switch threads to be too small?   Trying to figure out if my case was an exception or is it common?

YES....it's a pain in the arse...I even broke my taps try to tap them out  :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Wayne

Quote from: anlauto on March 03, 2022, 04:32:32 AM
Quote from: Wayne on March 03, 2022, 04:14:04 AM

YES....it's a pain in the arse...I even broke my taps try to tap them out  :pullinghair:

Isn't it though!  I really took my time and it was like 1 hour....

Thats one thing I can't stand is if a company is aware of a problem (which I'm sure they are) and just don't care to change it in manufacturing.  I will reach out to them today and kindly let them know of the issue.

Burdar

The holes are tapped metric.  If they included the screws that would fit, it wouldn't be an issue.  If you want to reuse the original screws, you have to re-tap them.

headejm

I'd like to replace my factory 1970 steering wheel with one of these PG Classic wheels but I'm totally unclear what available options for the center horn button are. I'm familiar with the one shown in the video but are there any factory looking options also? Some Grant Tuff wheels come with a factory looking horn button. Based on comments/reviews on the Grant wheels, I should stay away from those?

Burdar

I had a spare 72-74 wheel and used the horn switch off of that.  Then I found a reproduction 72+ horn button.  I think this is the same style that the later Tuff wheels used.

headejm

Anyone have an extra 1972 - 1974 horn button? I have the horn switch off of my original wheel.