Main Menu

Opinions on ABS core dashpads

Started by Deezel, May 05, 2023, 07:45:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Deezel

Maybe someone can answer this for me as I don't have any understanding as to how these dash pads get put together.

Why does it cost twice as much to have the dash pad installed on a steel core than it does an ABS core?
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

ignition1

Jay Bee

@Deezel  have you looked into possibly getting yours repaired? Might be worth talking with these people.

https://www.fibrenew.com/edmonton/

On a side note, once at Moparfest I asked an owner of a '71 Cuda where he bought his dash pad because it looked awesome and didn't have any of the slight fitment oddities of the available replacements. He said it was his original that was repaired. Sadly I can't remember 100% where it was done but I'm leaning towards Fibrenew in the Kitchener area. PS: finally found the 2008 email, it was the Kitchener Fibrenew place.

Deezel

Thanks Jay Bee! I had no idea these guys were even here.

I'll get in touch with them today to see if there's something they can do with my dash.
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

Jay Bee

I'm curious how bad yours is. How about posting some pictures. Ya know how we love pictures here.

Deezel

Looks like I'll need to send some pictures to fibrenew so I'll post some pictures here too after my morning coffee.
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

Jay Bee

I wonder if you could ask them to show you pictures of any dash pads they have done. I read through all the comments, a lot of furniture, car seat, etc kudos but there wasn't one regarding a dash pad. They are obviously a franchise so I hope whoever they have working there is as skilled as the person that did the one I saw back in 2008.

Deezel

I've sent the required contact info to them. When I hear back I'll ask about their past dash work and some pictures if possible.

Here's what my dash looks like now.

Lonnie
1973 'cuda

Jay Bee

Deezel

Ya, it's in rough shape. Whoever had the car before me attempted to make repairs to the big crack in the center and it looks like they made it even worse. The dash is also very brittle where the sun has got to it.

Pretty sure it's going to be a no from fibrenew but they're worth a shot.

*EDIT: Fibrenew got back to me and the dash is too far gone to properly restore.

Lonnie
1973 'cuda

Jay Bee

Damn, at least they were honest rather than giving it a shot and ending up with a sub par looking job after putting out cash.

That one Skdmark pointed you to is looking better. If the seller would remove the pad from the frame that should lower it's price and the shipping cost. Then constantly treat the vinyl with something (303 Aerospace) to soften it up. Just my 2cents.

Lunchbox

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 06, 2023, 06:30:37 PM
I dealt with the El Paso guy once. He was at a show so I got to see it before buying. Put it in my RT before selling it. It was pretty decent overall.

I've heard so much about that guy that I don't think I'd buy from him unless I got to see it first like at a show.

If it is the same place I bought a dash from them quite a while ago, had lots of issues. VIN location foam was too thick for rosette rivets, lower plastic dash pieces wouldn't fit due to foam thickness, same thing with the AC vents, and center speaker grill didn't fit with incorrect profile profile. The grain isn't as deep as the original also.

Looking at my original dash the only issues is a small crack about an inch long from one corner of the center speaker. Probably be best to try to repair instead.

Deezel

Took a chance and ordered a pad from Dash Pad Pros, aka, the El Paso guy. I asked if it was ok to strip the old vinyl and foam from my steel core to save on shipping costs and they were good with that. Right now I'm at $1950 USD with shipping but should see close to $200 USD back from my core after paying to ship it down. That $200 I'm expecting back will most likely end up in the governments pocket and to the delivery company for brokerage fees.

I'll report back once I have the pad in my hands, on its condition and time it took to get here.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

Jay Bee

I have one of his in my car, 1970 3 speaker. IMO even with the idiosyncrasies I think those are the best way to go. You will have to do some trimming.

Oops, mine's from Ultimate Rides, they might be the same outfit under a different name.

anlauto

Quote from: Deezel on May 10, 2023, 05:25:01 PM
Took a chance and ordered a pad from Dash Pad Pros, aka, the El Paso guy. I asked if it was ok to strip the old vinyl and foam from my steel core to save on shipping costs and they were good with that. Right now I'm at $1950 USD with shipping but should see close to $200 USD back from my core after paying to ship it down. That $200 I'm expecting back will most likely end up in the governments pocket and to the delivery company for brokerage fees.

I'll report back once I have the pad in my hands, on its condition and time it took to get here.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.

What's their estimated time frame ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration