Main Menu

Paint on the dash frame

Started by nsmall, September 18, 2017, 12:20:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Defrost duct mounts to the firewall

nsmall

Thank you!

When it comes to mounting the dash to the frame.... I'm assuming everywhere I have a spoon pointed to a stud is where the frame attaches to the dash pad... correct?  I'm just forgetting now where the dash frame mounts to the actual firewall.  I can worry about that later but I just want to make sure that I can mount the frame to the dash pad by using the studs picture with the spoons?  Thanks

:thankyou:

1 Wild R/T

The dash pad isn't part of the ground path, the frame it is bolted to does all the ground path duty....

Burdar

The lower windshield opening should support the center of the dash. I don't think warping is an issue.

The defroster duct mounts to the firewall and the dash goes on top. Be aware that the duct does NOT fit tight to the heater box. There is a pretty good sized gap between the two. That gap is supposed to be there.

anlauto

I painted some dash frames today too..... :D

I like to work in bulk....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

Looking good Alan.  Thanks for all your help.  I'm finally at the end of restoring my parts.  I can't imagine making a living doing this.  I would be getting about 1.50 an hour.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on September 28, 2017, 05:14:12 PM

All 4 speeds....

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 28, 2017, 09:36:30 PM
Quote from: anlauto on September 28, 2017, 05:14:12 PM

All 4 speeds....

YUP....Working on six E-Bodies right now and only one automatic in the bunch... http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/CURRENT-RESTORATION.html
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

nsmall

Alan I honestly don't understand how anyone can make money at restoring cars.  I can't believe how much time I spent in my garage restoring parts this past 4 months.  Im finally done restoring parts. 

I understand how it could get easier and you could go faster over time but it is still as so time consuming. 

I just looked at a lot of the cars that you restored on your website.  How long have you been doing this full-time?

As insane as it sounds I'm a little sad now as I really enjoyed restoring the parts.  I can't imagine ever doing this again as this was more of a once-in-a-lifetime project for me. 

Thanks for all your help everyone as I'm really excited with what's going on with my car right now.

Neil

anlauto

Quote from: nsmall on September 29, 2017, 08:06:48 PM
Alan I honestly don't understand how anyone can make money at restoring cars.  I can't believe how much time I spent in my garage restoring parts this past 4 months.  Im finally done restoring parts. 

I understand how it could get easier and you could go faster over time but it is still as so time consuming. 

I just looked at a lot of the cars that you restored on your website.  How long have you been doing this full-time?

As insane as it sounds I'm a little sad now as I really enjoyed restoring the parts.  I can't imagine ever doing this again as this was more of a once-in-a-lifetime project for me. 

Thanks for all your help everyone as I'm really excited with what's going on with my car right now.

Neil

Neil....
I started restoring my own Mopars in 1984 with my own first Cuda.
I didn't start restoring cars for other people until after getting married and moving to Georgetown ON where I'm at now.

The first car I got "paid" to do was in 2003. I kept going, restoring cars on the side for other people while working in a factory 40hrs/week up until I quit in 2010.

I've been restoring cars full time out of my little two car garage for a little over 7 years. I call it "living the dream."

I don't make a lot of money at it.....I NET about the same as I did working in the factory, maybe a little more in recent years, but most often times less than I was making before. For me it's not about the money. I truly love restoring cars. :worship:

RUNCHARGER

After you have restored a few you don't have to spend time researching techniques and materials. So it can go a LOT faster. Sort of like starting a new job as opposed to having 10 years experience.
Sheldon

nsmall

I had no idea Alan.  I was thinking this was a 20+ year operation for you.  I'm happy for you.  Lots of people don't get to do what they enjoy.  Hopefully you have a reputation that keeps you busy and will bring home the bacon down the road.   

anlauto

Man it's a lot of work doing four at a time... :unbelievable:

Mrbill426

They look great  :bigthumb:

Quote from: anlauto on October 05, 2017, 07:43:16 PM
Man it's a lot of work doing four at a time... :unbelievable:

nsmall

Alan's bringing back the assembly line.  He's a one man factory.