Main Menu

Pistol Grip Shifter Boots - Is There a Good One?

Started by DeathProofCuda, June 01, 2024, 06:19:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DeathProofCuda

10 or so years ago, I bought a replacement shifter boot for my pistol grip shifter.  IIRC, it was supposed to be a genuine MOPAR replacement part.  At the time I noticed that the rubber material was much stiffer and less supple than my torn up original, but didn't think much of it.  Today I finally got around to installing it.  The boot material is so stiff that it throws the shifter out of second and fourth gears.

Anybody know of a "good" replacement boot?

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/mopar-e-body-70-74-b-body-71-74-shifter-boot-screws-rp34m/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4PS19927hgMV-3BHAR2bjgiuEAQYASABEgJdWvD_BwE

I'm tempted to try this one from DMT since they actually state that the material is soft.  Can anyone vouch for this one?

Thanks

Racer57

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on June 01, 2024, 06:19:49 PM10 or so years ago, I bought a replacement shifter boot for my pistol grip shifter.  IIRC, it was supposed to be a genuine MOPAR replacement part.  At the time I noticed that the rubber material was much stiffer and less supple than my torn up original, but didn't think much of it.  Today I finally got around to installing it.  The boot material is so stiff that it throws the shifter out of second and fourth gears.

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/mopar-e-body-70-74-b-body-71-74-shifter-boot-screws-rp34m/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4PS19927hgMV-3BHAR2bjgiuEAQYASABEgJdWvD_BwE

I'm tempted to try this one from DMT since they actually state that the material is soft.  Can anyone vouch for this one?

Thanks

Without knowing it, you may have come across a cheap "quick shifter".  Hit the clutch and it shifts on its own ! :D :D   Seriously, any chance you have it positioned it while it was in gear instead of neutral ?

DeathProofCuda

@Floyd

Found an old post of your on Moparts from 2013 discussing a similar issue.  You ever get any resolution on this?

1970A-66Challenger

I recently installed DMT's shifter boot. It is soft and flexible. High quality like every other product of theirs that I have used.

Floyd

@DeathProofCuda

I did find a soft reproduction but can't remember where I bought it.  It was probably from either DMT, Brewers, or Megaparts.  It is holding up well.

torredcuda

Mine has been in my car a long time and holding up great but don`t remember where I bought it.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Racer57 on June 01, 2024, 07:34:38 PM
Quote from: DeathProofCuda on June 01, 2024, 06:19:49 PM10 or so years ago, I bought a replacement shifter boot for my pistol grip shifter.  IIRC, it was supposed to be a genuine MOPAR replacement part.  At the time I noticed that the rubber material was much stiffer and less supple than my torn up original, but didn't think much of it.  Today I finally got around to installing it.  The boot material is so stiff that it throws the shifter out of second and fourth gears.

Thanks

Without knowing it, you may have come across a cheap "quick shifter".  Hit the clutch and it shifts on its own ! :D :D   Seriously, any chance you have it positioned it while it was in gear instead of neutral ?

Nope, gear shift was in neutral and I just installed the new one into the original screw holes.

DeathProofCuda

Thanks for all of the replies.   :cheers:

I've placed an order for the one that DTM sells and will report back when it arrives.

69BFan

Almost all of the vendors are selling the Metro RP-34M boot for the E-Body application.  As compared to the originals, the Metro boot does not have the metal retaining ring molded into the casing. 

There is another variety of the boot manufactured by PG Classics which has the molded in retaining ring.  They are more flexible, but I have heard of them ripping due to the soft nature of them.

There is a third manufacturer that makes a very nice boot, but due to the pricing structure, vendors typically stick with the Metro boot.

Rubber components varies significantly from run to run.  One run can be dead on and the next will be to the other extreme.  I can order ten shifter boots and you can see a difference in four of them.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: 69BFan on June 02, 2024, 10:02:09 AMAlmost all of the vendors are selling the Metro RP-34M boot for the E-Body application.  As compared to the originals, the Metro boot does not have the metal retaining ring molded into the casing. 

There is another variety of the boot manufactured by PG Classics which has the molded in retaining ring.  They are more flexible, but I have heard of them ripping due to the soft nature of them.

There is a third manufacturer that makes a very nice boot, but due to the pricing structure, vendors typically stick with the Metro boot.

Rubber components varies significantly from run to run.  One run can be dead on and the next will be to the other extreme.  I can order ten shifter boots and you can see a difference in four of them.

Interesting, because when I Google Metro RP 34M, it shows a boot with the metal retaining ring and the part shown on the PG Classics site shows no ring.

https://metrommp.com/shift_boot_for_pistol_grip_shifter_rp_34m/

https://pgclassic.com/products/132-e

Floyd

@69BFan - Always appreciate your input on these types of posts.  Very informative and balanced.  Thanks!

69BFan

The Metro retaining piece is just a flat piece of thin sheet metal that is sheared to the proper dimensions and then sat on the rubber boot to hold it in place.  The PG boot has the retaining piece molded into the boot as how the OEM piece was done.  Once installed, you will never see the difference.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

DeathProofCuda

Cuda_mark

Thanks

I have the same exact problem!! I'm pretty sure mine is an NOS boot and it will pop out of gear really easily. I haven't driven the car much at all so I was hoping it would become more compliant over time.

DeathProofCuda

I ordered the shifter boot from Detroit Muscle Technologies and received it a few days ago.  It is Metro RP 34-M and actually claims to have been made in the USA! :unbelievable:

It is much softer and more pliable than the previous replacement I had, and also sits a bit lower, so does not interfere with the Hurst logo on the shifter handle.  Installed it yesterday and my problem with the shifter being thrown out of second and fourth gears is gone.  :woohoo:

Thanks again for all of the replies.