Main Menu

Plastic interior refresh?

Started by 70vert, August 30, 2024, 11:02:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

What does everyone use on the plastic parts to get them to look nice again? I have a convertible with black interior and the seat-backs especially look sad. There's lots of product hype out there but would like any pros/cons you all have had.

Thanks for any feedback.

Cuda Cody

Are the seat backs chalky?  If not, then you can clean them good and use SEM with some good results.  For a single stage paint it does pretty good.  Don't go heavy with it. 

70vert

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 30, 2024, 09:51:22 PMAre the seat backs chalky?  If not, then you can clean them good and use SEM with some good results.  For a single stage paint it does pretty good.  Don't go heavy with it. 

Yes, seat backs & kick panels (door panels have been replaced). Thanks for the info, I think I'll see how they clean up then go with the SEM if needed.  :bigthumb:

Racer57

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 30, 2024, 09:51:22 PMAre the seat backs chalky?  If not, then you can clean them good and use SEM with some good results.  For a single stage paint it does pretty good.  Don't go heavy with it. 

How does a Scanning Electron Microscope help ?  At least thats what Google says SEM is.  :D :D :D

Duodec

70vert

Quote from: Duodec on September 05, 2024, 08:26:25 PMSEM upholstery and trim products

No idea on specific products.

OK followed the link to SEM and now I'm confused. I am not familiar with it and actually thought it was type/color of paint, but now see it is the company name and they make tons of products. So what is the appropriate choice for "matching" the interior panels? Any advice would be great, I am definitely not a paint guy  :dunno:

blown motor

I clean the item good with grease and wax remover. The spray SEM adhesion promoter and follow with SEM Trim Black. I've gotten good results doing that.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Deezel

Landau Black for the interior.
I painted my console and dash pieces with it. Prior to painting the dash pieces, I checked the match against the freshly painted console and it was almost spot on to the factory finish. This was in my 73 Cuda.

I followed their preparation directions to a T prior to painting the parts and only used their products. (SEM soap, Plastic & Leather Prep and Plastic Adhesion Promoter) I'm pretty sure that a mild dish soap in warm water would be good for the first cleaning.

QuotePLASTIC:
1. Clean first with SEM Soap and a gray scuff pad.
2. Rinse with water or wipe soap residue with a clean damp cloth and allow to dry.
3. Clean with Plastic & Leather Prep or XXX Universal Surface Cleaner. If contamination still exists, water
will bead on the surface. Repeat this step until beading no longer occurs.
4. To promote adhesion on ABS, PVC and other similar plastics, apply a medium wet coat of Sand Free. Color
Coat should be applied while Sand Free Adhesion Promoter is still wet. As the Sand Free Adhesion
Promoter evaporates, the Color Coat is drawn into the surface creating excellent adhesion.
OR
To promote adhesion on TPO, EPDM, PP and other similar thermoplastics, use Plastic Adhesion Promoter
or XXX Adhesion Promoter.

Aerosol:
Hold can approximately 6-8" from the surface to be coated. Apply light coats allowing 5-10 minutes between coats.

I will say that all the pieces turned out excellent. I ended up going with 3 coats of paint. I did have a picture of the dash and will see if I can get to the console easily for a pic. (I'm getting ready to move so everything is packed up right now)
Lonnie
1973 'cuda